Buying Vintage Jewelry Instead Of New

A collection of antique rings displayed on a pink display.
Jewelry can be quite expensive to buy new. Searching for vintage jewelry at thrift stores and resale shops may lead you to finding a lovely piece for much less. Minor repairs can often bring it back to like new appearance. This is a page about buying vintage jewelry instead of new.

4 Solutions

A collection of valuable jewelry on a smooth surface.At the beginning of our relationship, my husband would buy me one nice piece of jewelry for Christmas. When we actually married, we couldn't afford to buy a brand new engagement ring. I found one I loved at a pawn shop for $500, and it appraised for $3500. My husband always wanted to upgrade me to something nicer.

On our 5 year anniversary, he did! A good friend introduced him to a local jeweler. They also buy back jewelry from people. Because they can buy it back cheaper, they can sell it cheaper. Spending the money he'd been saving, my husband was able to buy me an engagement ring valued at 3 times what he paid.

It is a beautiful ring and I love it! I frequently receive compliments on it. Now all of my jewelry is bought from the same jeweler. I have nice things to pass on to my children at a fraction of the cost.

By Mistie from Baton Rouge

Top Comment

I have bought jewelry from pawn shops for years. I have a whole safe at the bank full. I went through some of it and found some gold ones I never wore. I took them to a gold and silver place and got quite a bit for them since gold went up. I did real good and still have tons left. I would never buy from a jewelry store again, plus pawn shops have some unusual things, a lot of old things too.

Some of the prettiest jewelry, can be purchased at thrift stores for less than pennies on the dollar. If you discover a bracelet or necklace with a missing link or a lost clasp, a few moments can repair them like new.

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 519 Posts

A few years ago, vintage jewelry was much easier to find in places like thrift stores and much less expensive. Now what I can find for a reasonable price usually has some flaws. I get past that by restoring the pieces.

Need new jewelry? Buy vintage jewelry instead. A lot of energy is being used making new jewelry. Also there are a lot of chemicals used in the mining process.

Consumer Advice General AdviceJanuary 14, 2019
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf57947048.tip.html