Repairing Jewelry

Category Jewelry

Sometimes repairing a piece of jewelry is easy enough to do with tools you might have a round the home. However, detailed work should be taken to jeweler to be repaired properly.

You can re-surface/spiff up costume jewelry using colored nail polish. I just touched up the worn gilding on a vintage pendant using gold-colored polish. I have also used auto touchup paint.

You can do the same with worn silver-colored pieces or even colors. I touched up a chipped 60's enamel pin with colored nail polish, too. Now that polish comes in so many colors, it's easier and cheaper than ever.

By pam munro from Los Angeles, CA

Does anyone know if a gold herringbone bracelet with a kink in it can be repaired or not? I wasn't sure because it appears to be unraveling (because of the herringbone pattern it's constructed in).

Thanks!

Leah

Answers

Best Answer

The first thing I would recommend is get it to a good reliable jeweler and see what they can do. Otherwise I've tried rolling them. Lay it down flat, get a can or glass, wrap it in a dish towel and roll it on the herringbone.

It works sometimes, and sometimes it takes a jeweler, and even they sometimes can't fix them.I think that is why herringbones aren't as popular as they once were. I still love the look. IMA3

By Granny Marcia (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I have actually ironed out a kink in one of my necklaces with a kink. I laid it inbetween a layer of felt on something hard and put the iron right on top of it. Gold is a soft metal and you can sometimes heat it up enough to flatten it for DIY repair.

The amount of heat from an iron won't melt it even on the highest setting. The gold can get hot enough to burn you, so work with tweezers when it is hot. I even took a small tack hammer and tapped on my necklace while lying flat to get the worst kink out. Not perfect but considerably better than doing nothing.

Hope that helps...
Granny

By Karen (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I was at a jewlery show and a salesman told us to put any kinked Herringbone jewlery into the freezer, and when you take it out, use the back of a spoon to press the kinks out.

Anonymous
Best Answer

I've just used a hair straightener to get a kink out of a wide herronbone. Not perfect but better.

Repairing cracks in stone jewelry can be difficult. The solution will depend on the type of stone, porosity, and color. Here are a couple of ideas for repairing lava rock jewelry.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair Other JewelryJuly 25, 2019
🌻
🐛
📓
😎