Kitten Only Uses Litter Box to Pee

We adopted a kitten from the Humane Society and she is 4 1/2 months old. She easily trained to the litter box and used it fine for 2 months. Then 2 weeks ago she started defecating outside of the box (usually right next to or near it), but not in the box.

She urinates in the litter box just fine. Nothing has changed with her box or the litter. She's been to the vet and has no medical issues. Any suggestions? I cannot figure out why the sudden change in behavior and why she only uses the litter box to urinate. Please help, how do I get her to use the litter box for all eliminations?

By lilpaw from San Diego, CA

Best Answer

This is my first post. I grew up with cats and kittens are pretty easy to train. I don't know if this will work for yours, but what we would do was to pick up the poop and put it in the litterbox. They pretty much get the hint if you keep on doing it. Good luck!

Best Answer

I have several cats. I have 4 litter boxes. I scoop them out every day. It sounds strange, but one litter box always only has urine in it, never any poop. The poop is always in the other 3 boxes! Try adding another box. Good luck.

Best Answer

My first thought was add a second litter box, and I see most everyone has already mentioned that. Someone also mentioned not having too much litter in them. Very true! Cats do not like to sink up to their little ankles in the litter! Definitely scoop every day.

Ours did the same thing, turned out to be a very fussy kitten, wouldn't use it again until we scooped out what she made each and every time.

Are you putting too much litter in the box? Only put about an inch in there and see if that helps. Is the box big enough - should be at least 1-1/2 times the length of the cat. People always make the mistake of giving a kitten a small box. Putting the poop back in the box and covering it with litter may help her get the hint, but since she did it before, that tells me she knows she's supposed to be doing that. Try changing the litter. I like World's Best cat litter - try that.

Each cat is supposed to have two litter boxes. One for pee and one for poop. I never knew that. When my cat only had one box, she used one end for one and the other end for the other type of business. Also, she pees outside her box if it is not clean enough for her tastes.

Be sure your kitten's litter box is her size. She needs to be able to get in and out comfortably rather than like climbing a mountain. And the litter inside should not be so deep as to be over her head. imho. She is only a baby after all.

Best of luck. I care.

I am not sure if this will work, but I knew someone at one time who had to have 2 litter boxes. One for the cat to urinate in and the other to crap in. Hope this works.

I agree. Try adding a 2nd litter box and let us know if that works.

We have a 11 year old female who will only pee and poop on an adult incontinent pad, also same thing used to train puppies. She has had many litter boxes, tried all kinds of litter, etc.we even tried an enclosed litter box, and realized that she is peeing on the upper walls. So now we take a cardboard box and cut it to fit just outside the litter box and tape the incontinent pad to the cardboard, draping the pad into the box. She will back her butt up to the pad and do her "business". We then recycle a grocery plastic bag by placing the wet pad in the trash, and/ or flushing the poop and tossing the dirty pad also in the bag and then into the trash.

Hope this helps!