Reuse Plastic Cupcake Trays to Start Seeds

Use cupcake trays from the grocery store bakery for mini greenhouse to start plant seeds in. Each cake compartment holds a peat seed starter pot nicely. All you need to do is use a soldering iron to melt some drainage holes and a couple vent holes on top. Use peat seed starter pots in each cake compartment. When plants get bigger just remove the peat pots and reuse your cupcake greenhouse over and over.

By Kim from KS

I'm doing this, but with plastic cups inside each. I made holes in the bottoms for drainage. Works great!

I know this is a really old post, but I'm going to reply anyway :) I think she means the disposable plastic containers you get muffins in at the grocery store, they usually have 6 "cups" for muffins. I just had the thought myself and Googled it to see if anyone else did, that's how I found this old thread.

These cupcake trays aren't cheap and you're suggesting cutting them up? I don't think so! I use egg trays that you buy eggs in. Works just as good and I'm reusing something that would otherwise be thrown away anyway.

Be sure to wash your seed starting trays each time you re-use it.

Great idea. I like the bigger size (versus egg cartons) because the seeds are easier to work with.

Reusing Bakery Packaging
Reusing Bakery Packaging
Home and Garden Gardening SeedsJuly 16, 2009
Ice Cube Tray
Cleaning Odors From Ice Cube Trays
Yellow Plastic Container on White Background
Uses for Plastic Packaging
TV Dinner Tray
Buying TV Dinner Trays
Sowing seeds directly.
Direct Sowing Seeds