What Color Sofa Should I Get?

I'm decorating a new living room and want the feel to be slightly modern, but still somewhat grownup. What color couch set, other than black will match with brown carpet?

By Shayna from Tampa, FL

I would choose a neutral colour ie beige tones, or any cream coloured tones.

My opinion is it depends on your personal taste. Teal would work, if you want something other than neutral. I have seen yellow couches pictured different places. Myself I prefer colors, but in order to get the style of couch I wanted I had to get brown, no matter what color my carpeting and walls were. Being I live in a rental, I don't worry about whether or not furniture, comforters or anything matches with the floors. When you rent you take what you get and you can't replace furniture just to go with the carpeting.

A cream, butter or camel microfiber would be beautiful. Thanks, nunley10

Boy are you lucky to have every color to choose from! Everything goes with your brown carpet. Perhaps you'd like to look in magazines for photos of sofas with the same colored carpet or even wood flooring in the same shade.

For me and my personal tastes, I would choose charcoal for the sofa. Its a "serviceable" and forgiving color. If the carpet is a very or medium dark brown rather than tan or beige, I'd go with a lighter grey for the sofa.

This goes under the "rule" that if you have something dark in the room, you have to balance it with something light. For example, if you have something black you should also use something white. If you have something dull, you should add something shiny. If you have something rough in texture, you should add something very smooth like silk.

Best of luck and remember to have fun.

December 19, 2009 Flag

We are moving into a house that has a soft turquoise color carpet. It has a few years left. The sofa in the living room now is white. We need to buy a new sofa, but I don't want white. What color would look good? (A deeper turquoise is all I can think of.) Also, in a year or three we will replace the carpets. What color would you suggest?

Linda from Puyallup

What color sofa should I get?

I think a light tan, it goes with everything. We did go through a house that had dark turquoise carpet, their sofa was mauve. We didn't get the house since I couldn't figure out the carpet and didn't want to replace it since it was like new. (04/26/2006)

By mobo

What color sofa should I get?

My sister-in-law had a turquoise carpet. She had a dark grey couch which has some different colours in in, one of which was turquoise. (04/26/2006)

By Lee

What color sofa should I get?

Blue-green combination was popular years ago. Mint green is my suggestion. Accent pillows could be in the brown family. (04/26/2006)

What color sofa should I get?

If you are going to change the carpet in a year, buy the sofa you would like and cover it with a cheap slip cover to match your carpet and when you replace the carpet match it to your sofa. It will just like having a new sofa again. (04/26/2006)

By Jan

What color sofa should I get?

I would go with what I liked in the style of my decor, then accent with the color of the carpet with throw pillows etc. It is a lot easier and more budgetwise to only have to change the accessories, when you purchase the new carpet.

Brenda from OH (04/26/2006)

By Brenda

What color sofa should I get?

We have a light turquoise and chocolate brown den. The couch is made of wool and the color is chocolate. The chocolate and turquoise are a compliment to one another and the two are a recent color combo in clothing (ever notice?) and it looks fantastic together. Also, brown shows nothing in the way of dirt and wear and tear. We've had this couch for years, we just change the rest of the room around it. Good luck. (04/27/2006)

By Melissa

What color sofa should I get?

One extra bedroom in our house was painted "electric blue" by the previous (teenage) inhabitant. At first we thought we'd paint it, but then we threw a black bean bag in there to get it out of the way and realized the bold black really toned down the electric blue. Since then we've accumulated a black "dish" chair, another black bean bag, and made up a daybed in black. We also got some white wire shelving. The bold black and white really complement and tone down the blue, so we decided not to repaint.

I think a bold color like black or chocolate brown would have the same effect with the turquoise carpet. (05/24/2006)

By Allison

What color sofa should I get?

Try off-white. Throw some blue throw pillows on the couch and when you change the carpet change the pillows. (08/04/2006)

What color sofa should I get?

I have blue color carpet and some natural color wooden furniture like wall pieces and rattan table and chairs.

By ahmad

brightly colored confetti look sofa
Living Room Furniture Color Advice
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Room Color SchemesDecember 19, 2009
Sofa Bed
Repairing a Sofa Bed Frame
Sofa Bed
Sofa Bed is Stuck Open
Sofa Organizer
Making a Sofa Organizer
Sofa Bed
Finding Parts to Repair a Sofa Bed