Color Running From a Mink Coat

I just purchased a mink coat and I find the color runs around my neck. I do not wear make-up or spray perfume. I returned it to my furrier and he says that he cleaned it. I wore it yesterday from the store and by the time I returned home, it bled again. Any suggestions?

Ms. Nichols from New York City

I don't think the fur itself is running, I think a liner or piece of fabric edging is running. What color is the ink that rubs off onto you?

How do you know it's the coat and not your shirt or scarf?

Note that some cheap fabrics used as a liner will run. I have a cheap washcloth that still loses dye after 7 years! And I use it every week.

I would ask the furriers to replace the lining, if it is the lining that bleeds. If it is the fur itself, I would insist that he take the coat back. The pelts were cured badly.

I'd return it for your money back and buy a faux fur instead.

It's likely had a marking pen in the pelt's color, applied to some defects and not likely to stop bleeding the color, so I'd either return it, if possible, or wear a similar colored washable scarf around my neck. Good luck and God bless you. : )

Consumer Advice Clothing FurFebruary 7, 2007
Cleaning Mink Fur
Cleaning Mink Fur
A homemade dog coat.
Making a Dog Coat
A stack of Mexican blankets.
Making a Coat Out of a Blanket
Fur Coat
Repairing Fur Coats
🎄