Crisco as Frugal Face Moisturizer

I know this will sound crazy to most of you but I use Crisco on my face and neck at night for a moisturizer! It takes only a very small amount for a light coat. My face has never broken out. It doesn't clog my pores and it makes my face feel soft in the morning. If you look at the ingredients, you'll find that Crisco is made with soybean oil, cottonseed oil and antioxidants. I just turned 50 in August and everyone says that I look like I'm in my 30's.

By Beth from Springfield, MO

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Well, I don't think it's crazy. I use olive oil, and it's wonderful too, and really, all those fancy cosmetics all start with a base of something, right! We're just bypassing all the expensive ingredients!

Crisco is made with those oils, and then it's superheated to cause it to be partially hydrogenated to stay solid and not turn rancid. It's high in trans fat, and trans fat has an affinity for brain tissue, is declared 'particularly dangerous' and more seriously hazardous than saturated fat. Just so you know what you have there.

I have used vaseline all my life,as the other person posted, everybody thinks I'm lot younger than I am. I'm like Jack Benny, I'll be 39 till I die. Good luck.

I use coconut oil, which begins like Crisco, but liquifies so quickly that it works well on any kind of skin without clogging like a shortening would. I get the LouAna Brand from Walmart Superstore. It's not too high, and I use it for a LOT of things. A smaller dab will do what a larger amt. will do of something else. It takes practice. For larger pores, I would not recommend Crisco, regardless. Soy prevents the body from absorbing B vitamins, from the inside, and the hardened Crisco can cause comdones (white heads) eventually. Don't switch to mineral oil or use anything with that in it because it causes pores to expand permanently!! Good luck and God bless.

: )

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes FaceMarch 4, 2009
Girl having her face painted.
Homemade Face Paint Recipes
Homemade Moisturizer in a jar near a fern leaf
Homemade Moisturizer Recipes
Bottle of olive oil with olive branch in the foreground.
Using Olive Oil as a Moisturizer
Woman putting moisturizer on her hands.
Removing Moisturizer Stains from Clothing
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 24, 2016 at 6:06:46 AM on 10.0.0.41 in 429 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.