Cleaning a Wrought Iron Basket

I have an old wrought iron basket with a handle styled with a most unusual, intricate design. I have flat glass in quarter size pieces in purple, emerald, and teal to fill the basket. I will intertwine the basket throughout with tiny white lights.

My question is: the wrought iron basket isn't very rusty, but could use a little cleaning. But, I don't want to take off the old patina and make it look like new. What are some suggestions? Any and all are appreciated.

By Luann from Corning, NY

I had a half-circle pan holder that had the same problem. I didn't want to destroy the patina, but it needed cleaning. I washed with soap and water and when it was dry, I spray painted it with a clear coat of paint. Now it is clean, won't rust further and still has the patina.

I have a collection of cast iron trivets and took a wire brush lightly to any mild rust and then put Rutland Stove and Grill Polish on them. Do not use on painted or enameled surfaces. Just apply, let dry and buff with soft cloth.

Home and Garden Cleaning MetalDecember 2, 2010
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Cast Iron Wood Stove
Cleaning a Cast Iron Wood Stove
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Someone curling hair with a pink and black curling iron.
Cleaning a Curling Iron