Removing Pen From the Inside of Books

I have a thirty-year old book that I've decided to sell on eBay. When I first bought it all those years ago I wrote my name and address in it with a ball-point pen, because I never thought I'd sell it. How can I remove my name and address without ruining the book? The words are written on the inside of the front cover. Thanks for any advice.

Clare from Gloucester, MA

November 17, 20080 found this helpful
Best Answer

Use nail polish remover. When I worked at a bank there was a scam going around where the "crooks" would steal already written checks and then wash the ink out with nail polish remover. I was doubtful so I tried it and it worked and didn't damage the paper. Try a very small area first using a q-tip and if that works use it for the rest. It should work even though the ink is very old. Nail polish remover DOES NOT work on gel ink. Anyone still writing checks should use gel ink to protect the check info.

Good luck. Margaret from Denton, Texas

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
November 13, 20160 found this helpful

I am a little kid from Jamaica and I had to find something to take that ink out #thnx

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Anonymous Flag
November 17, 20080 found this helpful
Best Answer

Go to a book store ... Ask them the safe way to do this so as not to ruin the paper ... If all else fails they sell special book name/owner stickers you could place over your writing and the new owner can write their own name on the new book sticker ...

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
November 18, 20080 found this helpful
Best Answer

If your address is not the same as what is in the book, I'd just leave it and say in the description that "previous" owners name and address written on inside page. I have bought many books with a previous owners name written in it. For me it is part of the charm of a book, especially an older book. It shows a history, so to speak, of the book. Someone who is looking for a pristine book would not buy it with writing erased or covered over. A a buyer of lots of books on e-Bay, I'm betting leaving it there, but noting it in your description, will not hurt your sale.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
March 9, 20090 found this helpful
Best Answer

You can use a book plate to cover it, but be sure to mention this in your ad. I have sold many used books, and if there is a name written inside, I offer the buyer a name plate to use.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
November 15, 20080 found this helpful

Try some liquid White-out, but make sure that you mention it in your eBay description.

Oops, sorry I posted the same idea.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
November 17, 20080 found this helpful

Clare, if the other suggestions don't work, or if there is still a mark left, I would glue a picture over the spot. Perhaps a flower, depending on the type of book.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
December 5, 20080 found this helpful

We sell books. Do not use anything on paper pages. Memare is right, people will buy books with previous owners name, but if the pages are damaged, well that is a different story. Google book cleaning and that will help you find the info you need. Hope you fine this helpful and have not damaged your pages yet.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
January 15, 20090 found this helpful

How about covering it with liquid paper, then cutting a patterned piece of paper to glue over the top? If you can find a tasteful pattern, and put a matching piece on the inside back cover, no-one will be any wiser that it was not meant to look this that.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
July 21, 20160 found this helpful

Remove it with alcohol or lemon.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

November 15, 2008 Flag
0 found this helpful

How do you remove pen (biro) names from the inside cover of books?



Removing Pen From the Inside of Books

I'm not sure you can, Sandra, without damaging the paper. An eraser moistened on the tip of your tongue can remove some of it, but you might be further ahead with either a label you can paste in over the ink or liquid paper (brand name White Out).


By Rose Anne

Comment On This PostWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
In This Article
stacks of books
Removing Ink from Book Pages
< Previous
Home and Garden Cleaning Books and PapersNovember 15, 2008
spilled ink on document
Removing Ink From Paper
Old Encyclopedias on Shelf
Finding the Value of Old Reference Books
Child Coloring in a Coloring Book
Saving Money On Coloring Books
Saving Money on Audio Books
Saving Money on Audio Books
New Years Ideas!
Christmas Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on December 6, 2016 at 12:19:16 AM on in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.
Loading Something Awesome!