Need Advice on Creating a Special Diet

My husband is suffering from a bad case of gout. The gout has gotten really bad (in his ankle) and he is trying to combat it with his diet instead of taking the meds his doctor prescribed because of the health risks involved with the meds. He has just recently been told that his cholesterol level is super high and now he's on a special diet for that. He also suffers from diverticulitis. With the gout, diverticultis and high blood pressure, we can't seem to find any foods that that are okay to eat for all 3 conditions. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Linda from Alabama

After reading the foods to avoid and not to avoid for each of the above mentioned, here is what I learned.

HIGH CHOLESTEROL

--EAT-- egg whites, oats, oranges, pears,brussel sprouts, carrots, skinless chicken, lean meats, fish, low saturated margarine, high soluble fiber foods, remove all fat from meat before cooking, whole grain foods, fat free dairy products, vegetables

--AVOID-- sweetbreads, organ meats (liver, hearts, kidneys)shell fish, fried foods

HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE

--EAT-- serve smaller food portions, high fiber foods, fresh fruits, garlic powder or onion powder instead of salt

--AVOID-- salt, processed foods, olives, pickles, sausage, pepperoni, balogna, pork rinds, salami, hot dogs, cheese, chips, canned and instant soups, sugar, soda, candy

GOUT

--EAT-- Romaine lettuce, red bell peppers, tofu, potatoes, low fat dairy products, parsley, tomatos, celery, bananas, red cabbage, cherries, strawberries, other red-blue berries, plenty of water and other fluids, coffee, tea, chocolate, cocoa, tangerines, mandarins, oranges, brown rice, tuna, kale

--AVOID-- herring, mussels, yeast, smelt, sardines, hearts, anchovies, grouse, salmon, veal, bacon, chicken, duck, ham, turkey, kidneys, partridge, trout, goose, haddock, pheasant, scallops, asparagus, cauliflower, mushrooms, peas, kidney beans, lima beans, spinach, whole grain breads, cereals

DIVERTICULITIS

--EAT-- zucchini, tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, raspberries, poppy seeds, oatmeal, brown rice, wheat germ, rye read, whole wheat bread, bran cereal, raw fruits, asparagus, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, beet greens, onions, peas, red bell peppers, turnip greens, spinach, squash, turnips, sweet potatoes, green beans, romaine lettuce, pole beans, broad snap beans, snow peas, collard greens, apples, apricots, blackberries, bananas, cherries, dates, figs, grapefruit, nectarines, oranges, peaches, pears, pineapple, prunes, swiss chard, dried fruits, yogurt, cottage cheese, smooth peanut butter, add 2-3 teaspoons unprocessed wheat bran to all meats or use pinto beans or kidneys beans to meats, black eye peas, oatmeal, poultry, fish, eggs, whole wheat pretzels, tortilla corn chips, trail mix dried fruits, bean dip

--AVOID-- nuts, corn, popcorn balls, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, caraway seeds, sesame seeds

Since it is unavoidable to not compromise on some of these foods due to healthy eating restrictions, I'd go lightly on the foods listed as good for one health problem, but not the other in the --EAT-- categories. You cannot starve yourself.

I think I would live on fresh vegetables in a homemade soup with a side serving of meat or poultry and fruit for dessert for awhile, is filling and can always return for another bowl full later. Good luck with your health improving and may you reach your goal quickly.

Add a fruit or vegetable salad too and a raw veggie tray with the bean dip.

Thanks, Lorelei, for the information -- I'll try it!

Fastest cure I know for gout, I found by accident. I had a terrible attack and my Dr. gave me the traditional medicine. It takes a while to work (several days), so in desperation I went to Google. I found the cure and it is baking soda. Works almost immediately! I had another bout a week or so ago and took 1/2 tsp soda in 8 ozs water and got total relief after 2nd dose! Go to Google and type in "gout and baking soda." You'll find all the info you need. Good luck!

Avoiding foods that will trigger gout episodes is essential, and taking nutrients is also helpful. According to "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by Phyllis A. Balch, CNC, there are several nutrients such as: Essential fatty acids (Kyolic-EPA from Wakunaga). Liquid Kyolic with B1 and B12 from Wakunaga Proteolytic enzymes (Wobenzym N from Marlyn Nutraceuticals or Inflazyme Forte from American Biologics), Vitamin B Complex and Vitamin C with bioflavonoids and vitamin E. The book should be found in a library and it will give detailed information on the suggested dosage of the supplements / nutrients.

My husband found relief from gout from cherry juice, and cherry extract pills found at GNC and health food stores. He takes 2 pills morning and night and for flare ups he drinks the juice and maybe takes a few extra pills. It has worked miracles from crutches to no pain. Google "gout and natural remedies" there are a couple of simple natural remedies that are not caustic to the liver like the gout pills.

My husband used to have gout and he took Aleve, the over the counter pain reliever. You should really follow your doctors advice. My husband had high cholesterol and bouts of gout and he had a heart attack at a young age (37). Make sure he gets on some cholesterol meds as soon as possible. Sometimes diet just does'nt cut it, it is hereditary. You should'nt ignore or self treat in this situation.

Dr. Gott's readers ( and DH has gout and agrees ) says that a handfull of cherries,about 8 every day will cure gout. And you can use cherries in any form, fresh, canned or frozen. Hope it works for him too. I don't know if Cherries are on his diet. Good Luck,GG Vi

Gout is a form of arthritis. (If I remember correctly, there are 167 forms of arthritis.) Maybe you should check with the Arthritis Foundation or rheumatologist for what your husband can eat.

imho, I think people with gout need to stay away from rich foods so that is the same diet as one for high cholesterol. But maybe that is an old wives tale.

I know for sure it is a form of arthritis. I doubt anything you eat can affect it.

Best of luck,

Buy the book Rx for nutritional healing.

The diet that will really help your husband is the Food Combining for health by Doris Grant and Jean Joice, it will more than help with the illnesses that you have mentioned,and, with the added bonus that you lose weight with it so easily. Please try it, you can buy the book second hand at Amazon.

Health & Beauty Weight LossJanuary 10, 2008
Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
Adding Raw Food To Your Diet
Personalized Diet Plan
Creating a Personalized Diet Plan
Creating a Simple Website for a Business, Website URL on a computer screen.
Creating a Simple Website for a Business
A box of Goldfish pretzels snacks.
Saving Money on Diet Snacks
🎉
🎄