Cat Won't Stop Meowing in Car

My older cat usually starts loudly meowing every time he has to go anywhere in the car. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to settle him. I cover his carrier with a towel or blanket every time we go anywhere. I have tried talking to him. I've tried not talking at all. I have tried him in the front seat and the back seat. I've tried facing him this way and that, nothing seems to work.

By sharylesley from South Australia

I think it's a rare cat that doesn't protest loudly when it's taken for a car ride. They're just scared, and I try to position their carrier up high enough they can see out (but held in place by the seat belt). Sometimes that helps if they can see what's outside. I always talk to mine, in a normal upbeat tone, to help reassure them.

I'm just grateful none of mine are so scared they poop or throw up in their carrier. I've known cats who did.

My dog gets sick in the car, even on short trips. I ordered pet dramamine with the vet's advise. 100 tablets cost $6.00 (shipping was free because I buy his other meds on line too). Ask your vet if this would help you with your cat.. Good luck.

My cat hates car rides, no matter how short. He will start bleating plaintively before the car even moves. However, I have found that he doesn't cry if he is sitting on my son's lap. I don't think this is as safe as in his carrier, but it did keep him quiet. We found this out on the one occasion when he broke out of his carrier, and settled onto my son's lap in the back seat. Our younger cat (now 9 years old) has never minded being in the car. Personally, I think the older cat is just being a pill, so when I travel alone with him, I just let him meow. I turn the radio up loud!

Our cat didn't meow when I put her in a burlap bag, closed it, and kept her on my lap. It might be worth a try if the lap alone, as the last post mentioned, doesn't work.

I talk to mine and put soft, relaxing music on to help soothe them. They're scared and don't understand the motion and noise(s). I know that if I'm nervous or upset, loud noise or music only makes it worse. I also keep the windows up to keep out some of the traffic noise.

Try just sitting in the car with your cat. Hold them and talk to them in a low soft relaxing voice. Leave the doors open at first and gradually sit in the car with the doors closed. Then place the cat in the carrier and sit next to them same way, the doors open and gradually with doors closed. Always have a soft cloth and maybe a toy in the carrier with them for comforts sake. I hope this helps.

Thanks to everyone who answered - I guess there is no universal solution. I used to comfort him and sometimes I did travel with him on my lap but it is far too dangerous nowadays and probably illegal where I am. We are going to be traveling for a couple of hours so I might see if the vet can give me something.

When I have to put my cat in the car I put her in the small airline carry bag that I have had to use on plane trips. Because it has openings and is soft inside and I think that because it is small and she does not move around too much with the motion of the car that she is happy.

It is easy to also use the car seat belt around the carrier. Good Luck

You can give your dog or cat something called Bach's Rescue Remedy. You purchase it at a health food store. It is all natural so no hangover or side effects. Used specifically to calm an animal. I have used it for years with my cats. You put it in their water or food. If you have more than one pet and the others get it as well, it won't make any difference to them. It will only have an effect on the one who needs it. Strange and wonderful product.

Maybe give your cat a benadryl 25 mg for 29 pounds. 12.50 mg for less. Check with your vet too.

Cat Meowing
Preventing A Cat From Meowing
Pets CatsJuly 12, 2009
Saving Money on Car Rentals, Neon Car Rental Sign
Saving Money on Car Rentals
Kenmore Refrigerator's Ice Maker Won't Stop Making Ice
Finding an Inexpensive Car, Blue Volkswagon Beetle parked by a building.
Finding an Inexpensive Car
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
🎄
🍂