Soap Solution for Flies on Grape Vines

We have small flies on our grape leaves. We have about 1/3 of an acre and so far about 5 plants are infected. Can you recommend a soap mixture that would get rid of the flies and not hurt the grapes?

By Rae Ann

I sug to mix 1 teaspoon of liquid soap to 1 quart of water, in a spray bottle.I get them at Dollar store for a dollar, if that's not strong enough add more soap, good luck.

"Liquid soap" meaning something like Ivory soap, not harsh dish detergents. I use Dr. Bronner's liquid soap which can be found in some health food stores, supermarkets, or drug stores.

Your "flies" I imagine are Whiteflies. You could also just purchase and organic product like Safer's insecticidal soap and not chance using regular soaps that that can burn leaves once exposed to sun.

Soaps MUST come in direct contact with the pests to be any use because there is no residual effect. You will need to apply more than once because the adult flies will fly off when disturbed. Be sure to hit both tops and undersides of the leaves.

Whiteflies are not easy to control. Good luck!

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7401.html

Check with www.Jerrybaker.net. He gives you recipes for tonics for pests in the garden, as well as other issues. Most of the ingredients you already have in your home, so the cost is reasonable. I purchased a 20 page phamplet from him more than 25 years ago and had such great success, that I have purchasd several other books. His website has some tonic recipes and you can e-mail him for answers to your specific questions also. I hate to send you to just another site, but I can attest to fact that his advice is sound. Good Luck!

Bunch of concord grapes against autumn leaves.
Growing Grapes
Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlAugust 27, 2009
Grape juice that is splashing out of the cup.
Removing Grape Juice Stains from a Tablecloth
House fly on a white surface.
Getting Rid of Flies at a Restaurant
Wine grapes growing.
Propagating Grape Vines from Cuttings
Fly paper strips hanging by clothes pins.
Making Fly Paper
🎉
🎄