ToysCrafts

Making Wooden Toys to Sell

We are old age pensioners and we do the flea market every Sunday. My husband makes doll houses, table and chairs, blanket boxes and more. We were wondering if anyone had any instructions to make wooden toys. We seem to have run out of ideas. Thanks.

By Zionation from Australia

Check out your public library for books on wooden toys.

http://www.goog … wooden+toys+patt

This will give you over 2 million hits. The library is great, too. When you start making things, shoot us all some photos?

You can archive all the well known woodworking magazines for Easy Toy Making. You'd be surprised what you find!

I think wooden toys should be good sellers. I used to buy them for my kids. I loved the unpainted ones, but I think kids actually liked the brightly painted ones better. Little cars just big enough to fit in a kids hand, about the size of a coffee cup are nice. Little boys like to drive them about. My son, in grade 8 woodworking,made a truck and trailer combo for himself; he actually gave it to his dad for Christmas.

Other small projects that my boys made that I liked were candle holders, a lazy susan for the middle of my table, a number of different kinds of cutting boards and bread boards, a banana holder for ripening bananas, and a bread knife to match the bread board. These are all small projects that would be a snap for your husband, and might be good sellers as flea markets. I also have a wooden tray, with an inlaid design, and folding legs, for breakfast in bed, or tea in the living room, or writing letters on. I love mine, and maybe others would as well.

I have a book that is about making wooden toys that I will be glad to mail to you, if you can send me your address. Blessings. Carole