Homemade Bird Toys

Category Birds
These toys can be expensive, but with a little imagination you can make interesting pet bird toys at home. This guide is about making homemade bird toys.

My husband and I have two parrots and I am constantly looking for ideas to make my own bird toys for them. I have come up with several ideas for those of you who have parrots and want to make your own toys. Parrot toys are expensive and end up getting destroyed anyway. So here are a few ideas:

Go to specialty animal catalogs/websites, such as Dr. Foster and Smith and PetSolutions through their website and look at toys and try to recreate them yourself! Even if they don't turn out to look exactly like the catalog, your bird will love your efforts anyway.

There is really no such thing as a completely bird-safe toy. All toys pose some sort of hazard so make sure you supervise your bird with his or her new toy. Also stay away from treated wood from hardware stores as the treated woods contain toxins. Additionally, be aware and stay away from toys that have parts that are too small or too large for your bird as they pose the risk of strangulation and/or getting beaks or toes caught in toys. Finally, remember to rotate, clean, or replace the toys as needed. Happy bird keeping!

By Jenni from Lincoln, NE

Top Comment

My cockatoo loves empty toilet paper and paper towel spools.

I got my African gray parrot (Scout) cuttlebones and mineral blocks. She likes to snap cuttlebones into pieces and then ignore them, and she won't even touch the mineral blocks. I started recycling the pieces of cuttlebone by picking up the pieces and drilling a hole through them, and then hanging them onto bird safe rope (vegetable dyed leather, sisal, cotton, paulie rope, etc.) as a toy. You could also add them onto existing toys! Mineral blocks are easier to work with because they are harder, but the principle is the same: using a small saw, cut into desired pieces, drill, and string them up! This would work for both untouched mineral blocks and expired mineral blocks.

Note: As always, supervise your bird at play and be sure to remove items that may pose a risk to your feathered friend's well-being!

By Jenni P. from Lincoln, NE

If you have parrots, which I do, I find that the toys and treats are very expensive! What I started doing, at the suggestion of my breeder, is to look in the hamster/gerbil/rodent section at Petco/Petsmart. The toys and chewing sticks are usually much cheaper. My Congo African Grey, Scout, loves the chewing sticks that are made for gerbils and they are cheaper when replacing the toys after their eventual destruction.

Caution; Watch bells/noisemakers and check the overall quality of the toy before letting your bird play with it. Small toenails can get caught in bells. As far as treats go, many "small animal" treats are bird-safe, but read the label - check the ingredients, do your research. Brown's makes some great small animal treats that I often buy for my birds.

Happy bird-keeping!

Source: My breeder, LMC Aviary, out of Missouri

By Jenni from Lincoln, NE

Homemade Bird Toys

Anyone know where to find a pattern for bird toys or a bird happy hut?

Dawna from Boone, NC

Answers:

Homemade Bird Toys

I made some bird toys with large wooden beads and bells and twine. My bird loves them! (01/13/2009)

By Karen

Homemade Bird Toys

Can you tell how you made them? Do you know where you found the directions? (01/14/2009)

By Marcia S

Homemade Bird Toys

Hi Marcia, I have never had birds and wouldn't know the first thing about making toys for them, so sorry in advance if this advice isn't practical.

Is that picture above an example of what the Happy Hut looks like? If so, to me it looks just like one of those natural loofahs you can buy at the store. Like those round, hollow ones (not the mesh ones). I suppose you could find one of those at a dollar store or for a few dollars at Walmart. I'm not sure if that would be ok for birds...but those loofahs are natural sea sponges. Anyway, the top you could attach to the cage with carabiners (that's what they look like in the picture). That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw this picture. Good luck! (01/16/2009)

By khilde80

Homemade Bird Toys

Oh, you know what else I thought of as I looked at this picture? It looks like one of those car washing mitts. I bet you could get one of those and cut off the edges so it's accessible from both ends. I'm not sure if that would work or how frugally you could get one, but I thought I'd mention in case. (01/16/2009)

By khilde80

Homemade Bird Toys

• Fleece. It's the safest fabric for birds and wont catch toes as easily as other fabric.
  • cardboard for the bottom to be sturdy.
  • hot glue gun *use outside
  • stainless steel or nickle plated toy hangers (zinc is TOXIC)

If you don't have toy hangers use Sisal or Hemp to hang it.

Resouce: birdboard.com DIY section
    (01/28/2009)

By Guest

Homemade Bird Toys

We make all of our own toys as we have approximately 100 birds. One easy toy is wooden spoons. You can find them at a dollar store. Make a hole in the handle and hang in the cage. (02/12/2009)

By Diane: Lazicki's Bird House and Rescue

Homemade Bird Toys

My green cheek conure loves to play with the hard plastic caps that come on soda bottles. They are made of very durable plastic and come in a wide variety of colors. They make great foot toys that he enjoys picking up, banging, and tossing to the ground. I even hide treats in them from time to time. My husband drilled a hole through 3 different colored caps and attached them to the cage with a zip tie so that hangs. Despite all of the pricey bird toys that I have purchased for him, this is what he plays with the most. (02/13/2009)

By Anita

I want to find how I can make my own bird toys and to make the Happy Hut. I am a senior and can't afford to buy new ones. Thanks.

Marcia from Spokane, WA

Answers:

Homemade Bird Toys

By Karen

Homemade Bird Toys

Hi Marcia -- I have never had birds and wouldn't know the first thing about making toys for them, so sorry in advance if this advice isn't practical.

Is that picture above an example of what the Happy Hut looks like? If so, to me it looks just like one of those natural loofahs you can buy at the store. Like those round, hollow ones (not the mesh ones). I suppose you could find one of those at a dollar store or for a few dollars at Walmart. I'm not sure if that would be ok for birds...but those loofahs are natural sea sponges.

Anyway, the top you could attach to the cage with carabiners (that's what they look like in the picture). That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw this picture. Good luck! (01/16/2009)

By khilde80

Homemade Bird Toys

Oh, you know what else I thought of as I looked at this picture? It looks like one of those car washing mitts. I bet you could get one of those and cut off the edges so it's accessible from both ends. I'm not sure if that would work or how frugally you could get one...but I thought I'd mention in case. (01/16/2009)

By khilde80

Homemade Bird Toys

Fleece. (its safest fabric for birds & wont catch toes as easily as other fabrics). Cardboard for the bottom to be sturdy.
hot glue gun *use outside
stainless steel or nickle plated toy hangers
(zinc is TOXIC)
if you don't have toy hangers use Sisal or Hemp to hang it.

resource: birdboard.com DIY section
(01/28/2009)

By Guest