My Finch Laid Eggs

Category Birds
If you have a female finch, they will likely lay eggs at some point. This guide contains information about what to do when your finch lays eggs.

I have 2 male finches and one female finch (all Zebras). I have tried to add a pure white finch before, but they wouldn't play with her or be very nice and she died.

This morning, I went to clean their cage and found a egg in their seed bowl. I have never put in a breeding nest and am now unsure if the egg will hatch or if this is just something that happens every now and again. I'm rather confused because I was told they wouldn't breed without privacy.

What should I do to look after a baby finch? Will they lay another egg? I'm assuming no, but thought I should ask anyway. Will it be a issue that there is two males?

Thanks to all that help. Lana :)

By Alanah from Brisbane

Answers

Best Answer

I have two finches and I was told that as long as you don't put a nest in the cage they won't lay eggs. Well, mine did, and she layed them in the food tray. So, I just added another food tray so I didn't disturb the eggs. But, I only saw them sit on the eggs a few times.

I'm not watching constantly but, when do they sit on them? Or are these eggs going to not hatch? Please help. I have made some calls to pet stores and I was told to throw the eggs out. Well, I can't! They are only about a week old. Any information I would greatly appreciate! Thank you,

LilHoneyBrat form Minnesota

Anonymous
Best Answer

I once had a pair of finches and she laid eggs all of the time but the eggs were never fertilized by the male so, of course, they never hatched. If she has laid all the eggs (zebra finches often will not sit on them until the last one is laid) and is not sitting on them constantly, except for eating, then they are not fertile or something is not right about them. If as time passes the eggs take on a deeper blue/grey color then there is an embryo but if she's not sitting on them the majority of the time they are not going to hatch. Zebra finch eggs generally hatch at 14 to 18 days.

You should also make sure she has enough calcium nutrition since she'll often lay eggs. There are special egg foods available at pet stores and it wouldn't hurt to have nesting material just in case there ever ends up being fertile eggs. Don't touch any of the eggs until you know they are not going to be hatched because many birds will shun their eggs after being disturbed.

Enjoy your finches! I loved mine because they made the most relaxing sweet sounds and it was fun to watch their antics. Oh, and every time the phone rang they broke in to a chorus. Oh, and there are ooddles of books on finches at the library so maybe check a couple out to learn more about your babies. :-)

My two finches laid their egg in the seed basket. Should I move their egg (would the mother reject it) or is it safe if the egg stays in the seed basket? Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

I would move the egg and hope for the best.

Best Answer

I'd move it but then swap the places of the egg and the seed basket so its technically in the same place.

This is my first time owning zebra finches. About 20 days ago one started laying eggs and finished about 2 weeks ago. She laid 4 eggs in total. Today I noticed a 5th egg. Should I remove the other eggs?

Also I'm not even sure that I don't have 2 females. I'm sure my grey one is a female. And they make different sounds, but I am unsure about the white one.

Answers

Best Answer

Usually they don't start to sit on them until after they lay the last egg. So, start your timing from the final egg, and then give a couple extra days just incase.

What do I do if my zebra finches lay their eggs in different spots and I don't know how long they have been there?

Answers

Best Answer

The article I read said that the bird will lay one egg a day until she is finished. She can lay up to 8 eggs, but usually 3 to 6.

She will start incubating when the last egg is hatched. An egg that has not hatched after 20 days is considered infertile.

I have a pair of finches. They laid four eggs more than one week ago. After laying the fourth egg they broke the egg. Initially they sat on the eggs for some time, but now they are not sitting on the eggs. What should I do?

Answers

Best Answer

Remove the eggs, they are spoiled. I raised finches and Canaries for years. The broken egg or it's remains would have spoiled in the nest & made an unhealthy habitat for other viable eggs. Clean the nest & try again. I'm really sorry.

I have two finches, one male and one female. She laid to eggs, but I don't know when one egg fell out of the nest and broke. I didn't know until too late and it was dead in the egg.

How can I help the last egg survive? And how often do finches mate and when do they mate?

Answers

Best Answer

That was the best information I received since I got me Finches.
My first male didn't like the female so I took i back to the pet shop.
These two like each other just fine. I have had 12 eggs in a very short time .( in 2 different settings).The first clutch didn't work for me except for one and I tried to candle it and I broke it. I had a moving chick that I think would have hatched in about a week.
Read all you can on hatching chicks.It will help you in the long run.

Why hasn't my egg hatched when it's over due?

Answers

Best Answer

You start counting from when the bird starting sitting on it, not from when it was laid. Are you sure it was a fertile egg?

Best Answer

Eggs may be laid 2 weeks before the bird starts sitting on them.

My finches have laid eggs, but are not sitting on them and are panicking. What should I do?

Answers

Best Answer

They will not sit on them until they are done laying all their eggs.
That way they will all hatch at the same time.

My white finch birds laid 3 eggs and were sitting on them continuously for 3 days. On the 4th day they stopped going into the nest. They didn't sit on it for around 10 hours. They just see the eggs from outside and hardly go in for less than 20 minutes.

Answers

Best Answer

That is not a good sign. See if there is another nest, and combine the eggs.

Originally I had 2 finches. I assumed they were both female. They would lay eggs then not really bother sitting on them. However, one of my birds died and I got another. I was still unsure whether or not it was male or female. Although I think now it's a male. My other female has just laid 3 eggs and has been sitting on them constantly. When she's not, he will take over. I am thinking I'm going to have some baby birdies in the next 2 weeks. Is there anything special I should feed them or just let nature do its thing? They seem happy and content.

Answers

Best Answer

Dont do anything. They are doing what they are supposed to be doing.

My finches laid eggs, but they didn't hatch. Someone has said that they will never hatch, can you tell me if this is true.
Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

No this isn't true. Normally the female will lay one egg a day and it could go on for 4 to 6 days. After the last egg is laid that is when she will sit on the nest. If she isn't sitting on the nest then the eggs will never hatch at all.

My finch laid twelve eggs. Is there anything I should do or buy besides feeding and watering them?

Answers

Best Answer

This is the time when you should let nature take its course. Dont bother the birds or handle them.

I have 2 pairs of finches in my cage, 1 of the females just laid an egg and now she and her mate are being extra protective and a little aggressive towards the other pair. Should I move the other pair into their own separate cage or should I just leave everything alone since the other pair has started laying? I don't want to disturb the other pair since they just laid their first egg today and I don't want them to get scared or reject the egg or stop laying eggs. What should I do?

Answers

Best Answer

They should be moved to a separate cage.

I had bought a pair of zebra finches, a brother and sister, from a friend and after keeping them a while the female died. I didn't know what to do so I bought a new zebra finch and put her in his cage immediately and she laid an egg. They have not incubated it. What should I do?

Answers

I would Call a pet store and ask.