My Finch Laid Eggs?

Originally I had 2 finches. I assumed they were both female. They would lay eggs then not really bother sitting on them. However, one of my birds died and I got another. I was still unsure whether or not it was male or female. Although I think now it's a male. My other female has just laid 3 eggs and has been sitting on them constantly. When she's not, he will take over. I am thinking I'm going to have some baby birdies in the next 2 weeks. Is there anything special I should feed them or just let nature do its thing? They seem happy and content.

Best Answer

Dont do anything. They are doing what they are supposed to be doing.

The best thing to do is provide the birds as much privacy as possible. Don't try looking in the nest to count or check on eggs. You can get some excellent, basic finch breeding information at www.petfinchadvice.com/zebra-finch-breeding/
I hope the eggs hatch and you enjoy the pleasure of watching the little ones mature.

here's an interesting article on raising baby finches animals.mom.me/raise-baby-finches-8868.html

the gist of it is

- sugar water is good for them
- get a big enough plastic container with ventilated lid or a small glass aquarium with a heating pad to make a brooder (a place for privacy and safety)

- after the first week, make a finch baby food/electrolyte formula and feed the babies every 2 hours
- after the first week, increase the thickness of formula to acclimatize them to eating 'grown up' bird food

Pets BirdsJuly 12, 2018
🐛
😷
😎
📓
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/My-Finch-Laid-Eggs-1.html