Moving Zebra Finch Eggs

Category Birds
Your birds are comfortable and at home when they start laying eggs, and should probable stay where they are until the eggs hatch. This is a guide about moving zebra finch eggs.

I was going to get a new cage and move the nest for my zebra finches and only lose one egg, but when I came home they had another one. Should I wait to get a new cage? What do I do?

Answers

Best Answer

Since the birds have started laying eggs it is best to leave them alone. Don't disrupt the home now and move them from one cage to another. This might stop them from tending to the nest and taking care of the babies. After the babies leave the nest you can then move the adults to a new cage.

Best Answer

It would seem that your Zebra Finches are very happy with the old cage, do you really need to get a new one. They are laying eggs and really do not want to be disturbed, I would at least leave them alone until the eggs are hatched and the baby birds can then be moved to the new cage.

Unless the old cage is not really useable I would leave the present tenants in there for them to lay more eggs.

I have 2 zebra finches and they have laid 3 eggs in their seed tray. She is sitting on them all the time. If I get a nest box and put the eggs in there would she ignore the eggs?

Answers

Best Answer

Maybe.

I would certainly get a nest box for next time, but don't put it in yet. Just put a small bowl for seed in the cage so they can still eat. If the babies hatch and survive, put the nest box in once they have grown enough to be out of the seed tray.