Moving Zebra Finch Eggs

I have 2 zebra finches and they have laid 3 eggs in their seed tray. She is sitting on them all the time. If I get a nest box and put the eggs in there would she ignore the eggs?

Answers

Best Answer

Maybe.

I would certainly get a nest box for next time, but don't put it in yet. Just put a small bowl for seed in the cage so they can still eat. If the babies hatch and survive, put the nest box in once they have grown enough to be out of the seed tray.

Answer this Question

4 More Questions

I was going to get a new cage and move the nest for my zebra finches and only lose one egg, but when I came home they had another one. Should I wait to get a new cage? What do I do?

Answers

Best Answer

Since the birds have started laying eggs it is best to leave them alone. Don't disrupt the home now and move them from one cage to another. This might stop them from tending to the nest and taking care of the babies. After the babies leave the nest you can then move the adults to a new cage.

Best Answer

It would seem that your Zebra Finches are very happy with the old cage, do you really need to get a new one. They are laying eggs and really do not want to be disturbed, I would at least leave them alone until the eggs are hatched and the baby birds can then be moved to the new cage. Unless the old cage is not really useable I would leave the present tenants in there for them to lay more eggs.

Answer this Question

I have two lovely zebra finches that have laid an egg in their seed bowl. I wasn't sure what to do so I used tongs to move it into a straw nest filled with hay. After researching I realised that it would of been best to not interfere with their eggs and nest.

Will they abandon the eggs? Will they lay more in the food bowl or not lay eggs again at all? I'm quite worried and feel bad about moving it.

Answers

Best Answer

I don't think you have any thing to worry about, mother bird will find the egg no matter where you put it, and it is a myth that the mother will not touch the egg after it has been moved.

Great photo of the nest and egg !!!

Answer this Question

My finches laid 2 eggs a week ago in their wood nest and then started laying eggs in an empty food dish. Now there are 5 eggs in it. It is pretty shallow though and I am worrying it won't be big enough if they hatch.

The male is sitting on them almost all the time. Do I need to move them to larger nest?

Answers

Best Answer

No you should not move them and just leave them alone. If you move the eggs the birds will stop sitting on them. Allow nature to take its course and allow the birds to handle the eggs and the babies. There are so many people that are nervous the first time the bird lays eggs that they are scared and want to get involved and do something to help the birds out. This is really the wrong thing to do and the birds will not lay on the eggs if you try to move them. Just leave them alone.

Answer this Question

Finches are popular as pets in part because they breed well in captivity. These pretty little birds will provide you with many joyful hours. There are lots of questions that arise from bird keepers. This page offers answers and solutions to differing situations from food choices to care of baby birds.

Two finches sitting on a branch.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Pets BirdsDecember 11, 2017
🍀
🌻
🐰
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Moving-Zebra-Finch-Eggs-2.html