Moving Zebra Finch Eggs

I was going to get a new cage and move the nest for my zebra finches and only lose one egg, but when I came home they had another one. Should I wait to get a new cage? What do I do?

Best Answer

Since the birds have started laying eggs it is best to leave them alone. Don't disrupt the home now and move them from one cage to another. This might stop them from tending to the nest and taking care of the babies. After the babies leave the nest you can then move the adults to a new cage.

Best Answer

It would seem that your Zebra Finches are very happy with the old cage, do you really need to get a new one. They are laying eggs and really do not want to be disturbed, I would at least leave them alone until the eggs are hatched and the baby birds can then be moved to the new cage. Unless the old cage is not really useable I would leave the present tenants in there for them to lay more eggs.

I would wait until all the eggs are laid and hatched. You don't want to disturb something in process.

I would wait to move them in case you upset them.