Zebra Finch Not Sitting on Eggs

Category Birds
Zebra finches are popular pet birds in part because they are avid breeders. If your pair is not sitting on the nest there are a couple of possibilities. This is a guide about zebra finch not sitting on eggs.

I honestly did not know that my finches had eggs! When I saw, they had three eggs. The female bird immediately came out and was flapping her wings everywhere. I saw that they did not have food so I refilled their tube and the female comes out and was scared. It has been 18 hrs since the incident and I don't think the finch eggs survived or anything since the female finch hasn't been in the nest in a while. What should I do? Please help me :( (p.s. I had 4 finches one of them died a while ago now it is 2 females and one male).

By finchebreederbegginer650

Answers

Best Answer

My two finches laid eggs and I was worried that they would not hatch because I never saw the female sitting on them and it has been very cold, but 16 days later I had 5 babies in the nest.

The female probably does sit on them but you never catch her in the act. If not just wait and see what happens

My zebra finch laid 7 eggs. That was about 25 day ago, but none of them hatched. The parents are not sitting on them. They are sitting outside the nest most of the time.

They do live in nest at night now. What do I do? Should I clean the nest now or should I wait longer?

Answers

Best Answer

It has been way too long and the eggs are rotten by now. I would remove them from the nest and dispose of them.

I have a zebra finch that laid an egg. Two days later at 12 midnight I was refilling the food pot and the finch left the nest when it saw me. It never returned until 5 in the morning. Is there a problem?

Answers

Best Answer

Eggs can remain fertile for a week. The birds will sit on the eggs when all have been laid. Once all are laid, they should be sitting on the eggs most of the time.

If they are unattended for more than 30 minutes, that is not a good sign. If there is another nest, you can try putting the abandoned eggs in there.

My zebra finch laid 4 eggs, but she won't sit on them. Yes I know that they sit on them when they finish laying eggs, but she finished and both the male and female won't sit on the eggs. Why won't they sit on the eggs?

Please help.

Answers

Best Answer

Are they first time breeders? If so it can take a couple of times for them to ' get it right ' - Leave the eggs for a while longer , maybe 10 days , & if they still haven't sat on them , then maybe throw them out so they can try again.

I have two pair of finches. One pair laid two eggs four days ago and are not sitting on the eggs. What should I do?

By Sekar.k

Answers

I'm not sure about finches but I breed cockatiels and they usually don't start to sit on the eggs until they get up to 3. Are you sure they are a true pair as some females still lay eggs?

I have a female and male zebra finch. They mate all the time and this past Monday (5 days ago) she laid her first egg. Then two days later another (Wednesday); now nothing else. They sit, off and on, on their two eggs, but not consistently. I am wondering if more eggs will be laid because I generally hear of females laying eggs every day not every other day like mine? Also should I candle them to see if they're good since its been 3-5 days (since she laid them)? What should I do? How long should I wait to remove them if they don't sit on them consistently?

By Joey

We've had a pair of zebra finches for a few weeks. I just discovered 3 eggs in their nest. They had to have been laid in the last 12 hours, as I noticed she was very plump yesterday and now she is not. I am guessing they are still young finches. They are not sitting on the eggs. Is this normal for them?

Thank you!

By Christina Bedway S.