Zebra Finches Not Incubating Their Eggs?

My zebra finch is laying eggs for the first time. It laid 4, but one got broken. So now there are 3. They are not sitting on their eggs to incubate them either during day nor at night. They don't care for their eggs at all. I am totally disappointed. What shall I do? (I have only two zebra finches.)

Best Answer

Normally it takes a few days for the bird to finish laying all of their eggs. In some cases it can take up to a week before they lay all their eggs. It is normal that the parents won't sit on the eggs until the female is finished laying the eggs. Just allow nature to take care of itself and the birds when ready will sit on the eggs. You need to leave them alone and allow them to handle this on their own. If they do not sit on the eggs in the next 10 days or so they should be removed from the cage. Other than this the eggs are still fine and when she is done laying them she will either sit on the nest or just forget about it.

everything i read indicates that she will not sit until she is done hatching them, and that they will be OK up to a week.

I did also see advice that one should remove the broken egg, which I assume you already did.

Pets Birds FinchesMay 11, 2020
📓
😎
🐛
🌻
😷
Generated 2020-07-18 23:03:32 in 984 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Zebra-Finches-Not-Incubating-Their-Eggs.html