Moving a Finch Egg

Category Birds
Moving a finch egg that is outside of the nest should not be a problem. The birds will likely still care for it. This is a guide about moving a finch egg.

I have 4 finches, 2 females 2 males. The two that use the right side nest have been laying eggs. The two that have the left nest have been putting some of the fresh food snacks in their prepared nest. Last night I decided since I haven't seen eggs in the left one I would pull out the food. When I pulled it out, nesting material came out also so I left that for them to reuse. This morning I found an egg in the middle of the cage. I wasn't sure what to do so I put it in the nest of the other couple's nest. Did I mess things up?

Answers

Best Answer

Moving a finch egg.

• It is a myth that if a human touches an egg mama will not look after it.
  • You probably did a good thing moving it out of harms way.

I dont think so. Mother Nature has a way of taking care of things.

That egg may have been unfertilized. There is no harm done moving it into a nest. Either it will hatch or not.

It is totally fine and not something to worry about. Let us know how they go!

I think you were right to move the egg to the nest. However, you are not sure which set of birds laid this egg.

• Keep an eye on the second set of birds and see if they are still hiding food in the nest you put the egg.
  • If they are not interested in the nest and you don't see anymore eggs in the nest you will need to build an incubator for this egg if you want it to hatch.
  • Ad

• Building the incubator can be very simple and not cost more than a few dollars.
  • Follow these great instructions if you want to build an incubator and try hatching this egg on your own.
  • http://www.inst … e-Egg-Incubator/
  • I would try to build this and hatch the egg if this is the only egg in the nest. Normally the mother won't sit on the eggs until all of them are laid. This can be 3 to 4 eggs.
  • You should have a day or two, maybe three to see if the egg is being taken care of or not. If not, try building the incubator and hatching the egg. This could be a lot of fun for you.