How Old Is My Baby Finch?

Category Birds
It can be difficult to determine the age of a finch hatchling. They will typically leave the nest between 11 and 19 days. This is a guide about, "How old is my baby finch?".

I knew I had an egg in the nest but was away and when I came back, I saw a baby zebra finch already hatched. This is the first time an egg as hatched in my aviary. It is starting to get its baby feathers and I'm not sure how old it is. Do you know how old it is? And how do I know when it hatched? Do I have to do anything or buy any different food for the parents to feed it? Is it looking healthy or not? I don't know much about baby finches so please, any tips, tell me!

Answers

Best Answer

I'd say about 15 days old.
Be very careful messing with it. It seems healthy, but they are VERY delicate. You wouldn't want to hurt it by messing with it too much. The parents know what to do.

You don't need different food. Just make sure your birds have grit and a calcium supplement like a cuttlebone. And of course fresh water.

Thank you so much, this is the only time i have touched it and the only one. I won't handle it too much anymore. Because it is the only baby hatched and in the nest, is it warm enough? How do i know its healthy, anything you can tell me to keep an eye on it?!?

Seriously, don't keep too close of an eye on it. The parents may abandon it if they feel you are interfering too much.

I appreciate that you want to take care of the baby. That's good. But nature has provided bird parents for that. If they do their job properly, the baby will be fine. If they don't, it won't. There won't be anything you can do either way.

Chances are it will be fine, though.