Introducing a New Zebra Finch into the Cage

Category Birds
New birds like other pets need to be introduced to resident birds to ease stress and hopefully establish a lasting companionship. This is a guide about introducing a new zebra finch into the cage.

I have recently bought a female zebra finch and I have a 10 year old male white zebra finch. He is completely white with no zebra stripes on the tail and no tear drop. I am wondering how long do I need to keep them in separate cages, so that they get to know each other before I join them together. Can someone explain to me the steps that I need to do so that I can keep them together without them fighting.

Also a strange thing happened, I've put the male inside the female's cage since the male is not freaking out and is tamed and she freaked out and landed next to him. He kinda picked her a few times with his beak and I seperated them quickly. I was not sure if they were fighting or what. She didn't freak out when he did that, she just stood there. Can someone explain what he was doing and the steps? Thanks in advance.

Answers

These are the finches.

Sounds like he might have been actually grooming her. Zebra finches are highly social and shouldn't need long to get to know each other, especially if one is male and one is female.

Try putting the cages next to each other for a few days, then put them together.

Anonymous

They are not fighting each other, my female zebra died when she could not lay an egg that she could not pass. We went and bought a young female and she was not thrilled to see our male. He was so excited to see her, he got to close and she pecked him. She was only frightened by his excitement. And after a few days they paired and laid many eggs.

I am currently building a bigger cage , indeed he was not grooming her , he just poked he off the branch he was on , he is really old and can fly only vertical but I have let him out of his cage and he flew horizontal towards a curtain and landed on it ..

They might have been fighting because the cage was too small , the female doesent fight back though and strangly the male was never aggressive before , actually he was the one getting bullied around by 2 other finches ... maybe he is traumatized from then? I dont know but now when I make a bigger cage i will put them together and see what happens ...

Hi,

I believe it was not picking rather showing interest and approaching her for courship.

Try it again. They are just meeting!

He was approaching her in a courtship way testing the water so to say

I always add new finches by just putting them in the cage. Have had no problems except one jumped on another three times. Now all is well. Have four zebras and two society.

How many days would it take for zebra finches to be paired with each other? They are new to each other.

By Jerudy