Finch Laying Eggs

What do I do if my zebra finches lay their eggs in different spots and I don't know how long they have been there?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

The article I read said that the bird will lay one egg a day until she is finished. She can lay up to 8 eggs, but usually 3 to 6. She will start incubating when the last egg is hatched. An egg that has not hatched after 20 days is considered infertile.

boy oh boy!!! well my zebra finch has laid 11 eggs so far and we are still seeing her with signs of laying more so "up to 8?!" is really not a true statement at all! and this is her very first clutch too!!

I would just start watching and make a note of the day you found them. If the 20 days goes by, dispose of the eggs. She is in a cage, correct? You confused me when you said "in different spots"

It sounds like you may have more than one bird who is laying eggs. I would watch them carefully to see who is laying and where. Once you find out, you can make sure that the eggs are in a safe place and just wait for each bird to start incubating them. If you don't want chicks you can replace each egg with a similar size marble or tiny rounded stone. The finch will sit on them as if they are real eggs but she will give up after a while. If you don't have a male finch around the eggs can not be fertile. In that case I would replace the eggs with the marbles or stones and carefully blow out the contents of the eggs to preserve the shells and enjoy looking at them or using them in decorations. If you just find an isolated egg or two in a different place from the others it may be that one bird lay a few eggs there before discovering that there was already a clutch in progress, to which she switched for her remaining eggs. I know chickens do that but I don't know if finches do. Enjoy watching the nature of it all. Good luck.