Budgie Keeps Laying Eggs

Category Birds
Bird owners are sometimes concerned when their pet is constantly laying eggs. This is a guide about what to do when a budgie keeps laying eggs.

My budgie has laid about 20 eggs so far and she won't stop! Do you have any ideas on how I can get her to stop?

Morgan

Answers

Best Answer

According to an answer I found via Google (the answer happened to be on this website: http://en.allex … bird-Nesting.htm)

I would recommend you discourage her from building a nest and laying eggs by keeping paper or anything else she might use to build a nest away from her. Also, keep the amount of light she has available to 10-12 hours per day...this will help discourage laying of eggs. Although egg laying is a natural process, if a single female lays continually (one clutch after another), it could be detrimental to her health in that necessary vitamins and minerals (particularly calcium) could be depleted from her body during the egg laying process. Also, the fact that your lovebird would be tending to infertile eggs, she won't get the proper nourishment, exercise, etc., as a result of the incubation process (she'll be sitting on her clutch of eggs instead of eating properly, exercising, interacting with you, etc.).

If your lovebird lays eggs, be sure to keep a cuttlebone in her cage so she can get any calcium she might need. Don't disturb any eggs laid...let her go through the process until she abandons her eggs herself. Once she abandons any eggs laid, you can throw the infertile eggs away.

She will not be very friendly during this process. This is also natural. Just let her go through the process by herself and things will be fine.

I hope this helps. It still doesn't tell you exactly why she's doing it, I suppose, but it does offer advice.

Best Answer

I had the same problem with my tiel until I got one of those special "daylight" lights. Let it shine on the cage all day, at least 12 hrs a day, but make sure there is a protected corner or two she can retreat into.

Also, provide a fresh cuttlebone for calcium

Best Answer

Leave the eggs with her so she can 'incubate' them as she would if they were fertile. Eventually she will get bored with them. Watch for her getting egg bound. If so get her to a vet. She needs a very good diet as she is depleting her calcium. Give her veggies. They love romaine lettuce, broccoli etc. Also egg bread is good. Don't breed her. There are already too many keets out there.

My female parakeet lost her mate a little over a year ago. In the last couple of months she's been laying eggs which she'd never done before. The eggs are just empty shells. What could cause this behavior?

Margie from Tampa, FL

Answers

Best Answer

Instinct! I wouldn't worry unless she lays eggs constantly! I would allow her to sit on her eggs until she tires of them then remove when she ignores them. If she is laying a lot of eggs, she is depleting her calcium. You can take clean egg shells, dry them out and crush them very fine. Put them into a treat dish.

Best Answer

When my female started laying, one of the suggestions we used was to cover her cage a bit longer. The long days of summer make it seem like a good time to lay eggs and covering her cage a bit earlier seemed to make the difference. Leaving the eggs is also a good idea. If you don't want the eggs in her cage try switching them with a small pebble or marble so she doesn't keep laying to replace the missing eggs. Be sure to spend plenty of time fussing over her to make up for her missing mate. You can check out the forums at ThePerch.net for more helpful advice. Good Luck!

My budgie laid her first egg 28th July, 2015 then again 5th, 10th & 11th of September, 2015. I'm not breeding and don't have nest boxes. She either sits on her perch or hangs from the back of her cage and just drops them. I heard her drop this last one and I'm kinda worried. I know I can't stop her from laying eggs. There's nothing in her cage for her to be tempted to lay eggs. Is it normal for a budgie to be laying one every day?

I had a female budgie before but in her 12 years she never laid an egg. This budgie, Damon (cos we were told its definitely a boy), just keeps laying. Also she has giant sloppy poopies. I took her to the vet before her first egg and he said she was very healthy in weight and bone structure for her to be doing giant poopies.

I'm new to this kind of budgie and I'm worried. Please can someone ease my mind?

Answers

A bird actually has to be really healthy to continue to lay. Make sure she has a calcium supplement such as ground up eggshell or commercial supplement like cuttlefish. You might want to have her on the high protein food.

Remove the eggs when they get old. They'll just rot.