Preventing Lumps in Brown Sugar

What do you put in a container of brown sugar to keep it without lumps?

Rudy from Southwick, MA

A slice of bread

My mother always used a piece of apple or bread but I use a broken piece of terra cotta. Soak in water before adding to the sugar. You can actually buy a little disc made of terra cotta to do this.

I keep my brown sugar in the freezer and have never had any lumps.

I use a damp paper towel.

slice a piece of apple and put it in the bag with the brown sugar and close tightly. It will always be soft.

I recently learned that when you buy a bag of brown sugar to put it in the freezer. This is ready for use in a few minutes and the remaining sugar will never harden. sewingmamma

You can use a piece of apple-that helps some. If there are lumps a few seconds in the microwave - container and all usually does the trick for me. I have been making my own brown sugar lately using 2 cups white sugar and some "blubs" of molasses. That seems to keep my brown sugar moist enough.

Place a piece or two of WHITE bread on top of your brown sugar and then seal it in a tight container for at least twelve hours. Change the bread often. Do not use wheat it will sprout and leave you with bad sugar that will have to be thrown out.

You can also buy a clay item in kitchen stores that you soak in water and place on top of your sugar in an air tight container that allows the sugar to soak up the moisture.

I have always kept my brown sugar in a Tupperware container just big enough to hold one bag. It NEVER

gets lumps or gets hard.

bag of sugar
Getting Rid of Lumps in Sugar
Food and Recipes Food Tips Herbs and SpicesNovember 7, 2005
Brown Sugar
Making Brown Sugar
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
🎄