My Dog Smells But I Can't Give Him a Bath

My vet said not to give the dog a bath until his next checkup, but he smells. Suggestions?

Holly from Richardson, TX

Use baking soda! (avoid face-don't let doggie breath in) rub it in and then brush it all out well. Probably best to do this outside!

Look at this web site www.LaSenti.com which sells a product that is all natural and eliminates pet odor.

There's also a product on the market that says it's a "dry bath"- meaning it's a powder that you shake all over your dog/cat and then brush it out. I have no idea what it is- maybe it's only baking soda like the previous person's suggestion, but it wouldn't hurt to run over to a pet store (one of the big ones would carry it for sure) and check it out. Good luck!

try Fabreeze

Wrap a hairbrush in tulle or cheesecloth and brush him well. This will remove a lot of oil. I think it's the oil that makes dogs smell.

Tip from my dog trainer. Mix some Listerine and some water in a spray bottle (50/50 ratio). Spray well and rub with an absorbent towel.

Do NOT use Fabreeze or anything else designed for cleaning houses, odors etc. It's not a product for an animal.

There are some very good pet wipes on the market. I use them to wash my dogs face.

Also you can use a cloth dampened with distilled water to wipe down.

Try rubbing him down with cornstarch or talc to absorb the oil, then dust him off with a towel.

Why does he smell?? What part of him?? Is it his fur? Is it his breath?? Or, could it be his ears?? He may need his teeth brushed, or his ears cleaned out. It may not be his fur at all, Or, if he is long haired could he have some doggie doo (for lack of a better term) stuck in his fur under his tail?

Baking soda is a fairly strong alkali, like rubbing your dog all over with wood ashes or salt. Too harsh. Cornstarch would be better, non-irritating. Pet wipes have a ton of fragrance, baby-powder smell, and I am not fond of my dog trading one stink for another one. Maybe some wierd thing in the food is coming out through your dog's sweat?

There are brushes out there that do something to supercharge your pets fur to make it fresh as all outdoors.

Try crazy dog baby powder spray. It makes them smell really good between baths and it also conditions. Hope this helps.

Dog smells because it's hot as blazes where we live and summer time!

I would do what I did to my boys if we were somewhere without a lot of water (camping usually). I would wet a bath towel, wring it out, and wipe him all over. I'm guessing your dog had surgery if he can't get a bath but you can wipe down all other parts of his body. I don't like additives like powders because they attract dirt.

Dear Stinky Pet Owners,

I have tried many products of wipes and either your family member smell like chemicals or a new born baby. Until I used Arthur's Bath to Bath Mitts. Not a wipe but a wet mitt with the fresh scent of Chamomile and boy does it do a great job cleaning your pet as well. When a wipe slips and slides this mitt stays in place so you can clean your dog from head to toe. Please they make them for Stinky Kats as well. You will never try another product again! Plus they are natural all the way down to the fibers in the cloth! I found a pack at Bed, Bath & Beyond and I have seen them at all better pet stores as well. They even have a web site www.arthurthedog.com and if you buy any 3 of their products the shipping is free. One last point they are not made in China or a packing plant that makes baby wipes. They are made at a pharmaceutical company in Israel so the quality is amazing.

I hope this helps my fellow dog owners!

Good Luck!

Dear Stinky Pet Owners,

I hope this helps my fellow dog owners!

Good Luck!

Hartz used to put out a great liquid bath that you wiped on. I liked it a lot because it also helped with fleas and ticks. Try their web site hartz.com It had a real nice menthol smell. It's also great for cleaning ear mites that can cause a strong smell, too.

Pets Dogs HealthJanuary 14, 2008
Lilac Bubble Bath
Lilac Bubble Bath
Toddler with bubbles on hair and end of nose.
Homemade Bubble Bath Recipes
Homemade Bath Salts
Homemade Bath Salts Recipes
dog bathing
Dog Still Smells After a Bath
🎄