Composting Without Attracting Animals

Can anyone give me any information about composting? Is it OK to do it in Arizona? We have animals like bobcats and coyotes and I don't want to draw them into my yard.

By Michelle from Phoenix, AZ

Well, I bought a compose bin and haven't had any problems with critters. I have deer, coyotes fishers and other smaller animals livingin the area. The bin looks like a barrel, made of plastic, has slot for air and is totally enclosed.

You can compost anywhere that you have enough warmth, water, oxygen, and "food" to support life. A good book to buy or get from the library is Let It Rot by Stu Campbell. It is fun reading and covers it all without being overwhelming.

My bins are made of wire and metal fence posts with boards across the front to keep stuff from tumbling out. What is important is what you put in the bin. Don't put any meat, fat, oil, or dairy in the compost bin--stick only with vegetable matter. Use herbivore or chicken manure for an activator. You can also buy commercial activators. Don't use any high-nitrogen animal-based substance like dried blood or fish meal as they will attract meat-eating pests. Bury your "wet" vegetable scraps, coffee grounds and filters, etc. in your rough, dry carbon layer--leaves, rotted straw, rotted hay, rough stuff from cleaning out the garden, or deadheading.

I've been composting for 20 years now, and my bins have always been open to all weathers and anything (deer, coons, coyotes, fox, cats, dogs, opossums, you name it!) that walks by with no problems. Have fun composting. Begonia

Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage
Home and Garden Gardening CompostingFebruary 25, 2010
bee on a flower
Attracting Bees to Your Garden
Composting Indoors
Composting Indoors
Monarch butterfly on orange flower.
Attracting Butterflies
Stuffed Easter Bunny
Refurbishing Stuffed Animals