Should I Salt Meat Before or After Cooking?

Do you salt meat before it's cooked or after? I heard salting before or while cooking made meat tougher and not as juicy?

By Lynn from LaCrosse, WI

Near the end of the cooking time or after it is done cooking. I checked it out online and many websites say that salting meat before cooking coaxes out the juices and makes the meat drier.

I prefer to salt meat just before I start cooking it. I watch a lot of the cooking shows on Food Network, and the chefs do it this way.

Every chef I have seen on Television (I watch lots of Food Network and Cooking channel) all salt before cooking. I salt my meat before cooking.

Lynn,

Here is a good article that explains the process - http://steamyki  rime-steaks.html

Bob

In my experience it depends on the cut of meat and how it's being cooked or the recipe. I definitely don't salt the steaks when marinading them and some steak cuts are just so tasty stand alone that I can't bring myself to add anything to them before or after ;-)