Should I Salt Meat Before or After Cooking?

Category Cooking Tips
There are conflicting views on whether to salt meat before or after cooking. Unfortunately you will probably need to test both methods and see which works best for you. This is a guide about, "Should I salt meat before or after cooking?".

Do you salt meat before it's cooked or after? I heard salting before or while cooking made meat tougher and not as juicy?

By Lynn from LaCrosse, WI

Answers

Best Answer

I prefer to salt meat just before I start cooking it. I watch a lot of the cooking shows on Food Network, and the chefs do it this way.

Best Answer

Every chef I have seen on Television (I watch lots of Food Network and Cooking channel) all salt before cooking. I salt my meat before cooking.

Anonymous

Near the end of the cooking time or after it is done cooking. I checked it out online and many websites say that salting meat before cooking coaxes out the juices and makes the meat drier.

Lynn,
Here is a good article that explains the process - steamykitchen.com/163-how-to-turn-cheap-choice-steaks...

Bob