Mothball Smell on Books

How do you get mothball odors out of toys and books that were stored for years in a trunk containing mothballs. I've tried airing out the items, but the odor seems to have permeated into the items.

By Margie D. from Lafayette, CA

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

July 20, 2010 Flag

How do you get moth ball smell out of old books?

Shane from Phoenix, AZ

Answers:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 26, 2006 Flag

How might mothball odor or fumes be removed from old stored clothes and paper books? I have some of my family historical clothes and papers which have been stored with mothballs.

Ole from Springfield

Answers:

Mothball Odor Removal from Clothes and Books

Charcoal works well. You can get activated charcoal at pet stores (I add some to my cat's litter). Either sprinkle in the container in which the items are stored, or put the items in plastic bags with the activated charcoal. Don't use the charcoal used for grills - then your clothes will smell weird. Trust me, use the activated charcoal. It's maybe $5 for a small bag, but it goes a long way. Works for books too. (06/21/2004)

By

try t-2, a new odor removal spray from japan. 1 spray supposedly works fro up to 3 months (03/19/2005)

By

mothball in wedding dress

Help! I got a vintage wedding dress which I cannot wash, obviously, and it smells like mothballs. how can I get that smell out? What about vodka, that's what I've used to get body odor out of dry clean items. thanks (06/08/2005)

By lisa golda

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJuly 20, 2010
Old Encyclopedias on Shelf
Finding the Value of Old Reference Books
Saving Money on Audio Books
Saving Money on Audio Books
Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing
Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 2:09:02 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.