How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans?

I have expensive Calphalon cookware. When using it, I get grease stains on the bottom and sides. I have purchased the Calphalon Dormond cleaner. That does not work. I have tried everything. Please help, I hate cooked on grease.

By Renae from DeBerry, TX

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

When I get cooked on grease on the outside of my pans, I just put a squirt of dishwashing detergent on the area and rub a little with the dishcloth, than rinse under really hot water, and the cookd on grease is gone.

Eazy off oven cleaner will do it.

Dawn Power Dissolver. It is a spray. I have seen it at Walmart. We used it to clean broaster baskets at the deli. Amazing stuff.

Answer

Cooking oil was filled up in my Calphalon pot. It started boiling and spilled over the edge. Now there are yellow stains and black/brown burnt stains on the exterior of the pot. How do I clean this?

By Laurena from Houston, TX

How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans?

First thing to try is baking soda. Get a washing cloth/rag, not a sponge, they 'give' too much.
Dampen and wring out as much as you can. Put the spot you want to clean right in front of you, with pot on side, so you can pour baking soda on spot and not have it fall off. Put your finger inside cloth and begin to rub. You want to have about 1/8 the inch of soda on the spot, more seems to work better. Keep scrubbing until soda is used up, moving from one area to another, adding soda as necessary.

I tried baking soda long ago and found it ineffective, but I was using it wrong; only recently have I discovered you don't want a wet cloth at all, but it has to be just a little damp and you want a lot of soda. Basically the cloth is pushing the soda around. I've used it to clean up gummed on grease around the burners of the stove [the grandsons are not tidy] and it comes up pretty quickly. (11/29/2009)

By PIKKA

How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans?

Try soaking the pan overnight in a sink/dishpan of hot water with 1 cup of powdered dishwasher detergent dissolved in it, then scrub with a nylon scrubby. If you cannot submerge the entire pot, do it in sections repeating with fresh solutions. If you do not have powder detergent on hand, the el cheapo brand from the dollar store works well. This method also works on baking pans with the cooking spray/Pam baked on. (12/02/2009)

By Omanana

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What really works to clean cooked on grease off pans? It seems like I have tried everything, cream of tartar/vinegar, baking soda/vinegar, baking soda/water, Dawn and Ajax. Right now my house smells of vinegar so bad my chest burns from breathing it. Please help.

Kacie from Magnolia, TX

How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans?

Used coffee grounds mixed with water and left on overnight usually loosen the worst grease, baked on food, and burnt food. (03/21/2009)

By yarnlady

How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans?

I read on here to use Mr. Clean eraser and yes I know it says not to use on stainless steel, but I had burnt food and tried everything. I did try the eraser and it worked like a charm. Use it as a last resort. I figured if it didn't work I would have to throw it away. But it did work. (03/23/2009)

By castleberrycc

How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans?

Biological washing powder, the pure sort and hot water. Soak over night and Bob's your uncle.

popet UK (03/24/2009)

By popet

How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans?

This works everytime. I fill the bottom of the pan with about one to two inches of water and Dawn dish liquid. I then bake it for about 15 minutes at 350*. I take it out let it sit for about 5 minutes and then wipe off anything that is burnt on. (03/24/2009)

By bina2j

How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans?

For starters, as another poster said, "never" use Pam. It leaves a build up. I suspect this is what is actually on your pans, not grease.

However, if you have burnt on residue, Bon Ami is a wonderful product (similar to Barkeeper's Friend which is what I used to use until my cleaning lady recommended Bon Ami). This will not scratch. I use it on my stainless steel appliances for cleaning instead of the stuff recommended.

Good luck. (03/24/2009)

By tnsink

How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans?

The navy uses coke to clean ovens. I'd try that rather than elbow grease and powders.
I'd leave it on the grease overnight, rinse and/or repeat the next day. (03/24/2009)

By lyndagayle62

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Tip Sheet: How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans Courtesy of http://www.homemakersjournal.com

THE QUESTION:

How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans?

I would like to know if anyone knows how to get cooked-on grease off pots and pans? My pans are blue so I don't want to ruin the color but they hang on a rack in the kitchen so I would like for them to look pretty. Help? Thanks, Hazel

THE REPLIES (A big THANK-YOU to our wise contributors):

Bar Keeper's Friend:

Hazel, Try a product called Bar Keeper's Friend. You can find it in the grocery store usually on the top shelf around the cleansers. It is a non-abrasive cleaner and it takes off lots of stuff and leaves no scratches. I started using it when I had a smooth top Corning stove and I am never without it any more. Barb

Hot Water and Fabric Softener Sheet:

Soak in hot water and a fabric softener dryer sheet for several hours or overnight. The cooked-on gunk and grease should be easier to clean. You may have to do this a few times depending on how old and cooked-on the grease is.

Boil Water and Baking Soda Inside; Soft Scrub Outside:

I boil water with baking soda to loosen cooked-on food. On the exterior, I used Soft Scrub (with bleach) on a Teflon/rubber sponge scrubbie. I hang my pans, including the copper ones, on a decorative pan rack so that everyone can see them so they have to look good! And I do get compliments on my pans!

Oxiclean or Baking Soda

I used Oxyclean to get the build-up off of some pots I bought recently. I made a paste, then covered the burned-on grease. I let it sit about 6 hours then use a Dobbie pad (scrubber). Or use an SOS pad to remove the grease. Test a small area, in case it would remove your color, mine were stainless steel pots. Or, better yet, use a paste of baking soda, let it sit a few hours then scrub it. If there is still grease remaining, soak it in hot water and Dawn dish detergent (or any dish soap that removes grease). Then try the baking soda paste again. Csinbad

Oven Cleaner

Use an oven cleaner that doesn't require heating the oven first.

SOS Pad and Dawn or Ammonia:

The best way I know of to get grease off pans or stove is with an SOS pad dipped in a bit of Dawn dish soap mixed half and half with water in a cup. If it is baked on, try dipping the pad in ammonia and water. Nell form Texas

Hot Water & Dishwashing Compound:

So long as the pan isn't aluminum, you can soak it overnight in a sink full of hot water and dishwashing compound (the kind for machines). It will scrub clean beautifully in the morning -- this is a very good method for stained Corning ware, glass and enamel.

To get the dishwashing compound to dissolve completely, stir it up in a cup of boiling water, then add to the hot water in the sink. Karen in Seattle

How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans?

Tip:

Never use the aerosol PAM-type cooking sprays, since you don't notice it on pans before using it and it bakes on and is nearly impossible to remove.

The same can be said for spraying things like the George Foreman Grills, there are oversprays that bake on the exterior of the grill. (08/08/2004)

By Syd

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesJanuary 27, 2011
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
A photo of delicious bacon.
Draining Grease Off Meat
Woman cleaning greasy frying pan.
Removing Sticky Grease Residue from Pans
cleaning grease off wallpaper
Cleaning Grease Off Wallpaper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 30, 2016 at 6:02:54 PM on 10.0.1.167 in 326 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.