Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans?

I have expensive Calphalon cookware. When using it, I get grease stains on the bottom and sides. I have purchased the Calphalon Dormond cleaner. That does not work. I have tried everything. Please help, I hate cooked on grease.

By Renae from DeBerry, TX

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By lisa Hegewald [3]01/28/2011

Dawn Power Dissolver. It is a spray. I have seen it at Walmart. We used it to clean broaster baskets at the deli. Amazing stuff.

By Lilac [18]01/28/2011

Eazy off oven cleaner will do it.

By Joan [13]01/28/2011

When I get cooked on grease on the outside of my pans, I just put a squirt of dishwashing detergent on the area and rub a little with the dishcloth, than rinse under really hot water, and the cookd on grease is gone.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans?

Tip Sheet: How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans Courtesy of http://www.homemakersjournal.com

THE QUESTION:

How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans?

I would like to know if anyone knows how to get cooked-on grease off pots and pans? My pans are blue so I don't want to ruin the color but they hang on a rack in the kitchen so I would like for them to look pretty. Help? Thanks, Hazel

THE REPLIES (A big THANK-YOU to our wise contributors):

Bar Keeper's Friend:

Hazel, Try a product called Bar Keeper's Friend. You can find it in the grocery store usually on the top shelf around the cleansers. It is a non-abrasive cleaner and it takes off lots of stuff and leaves no scratches. I started using it when I had a smooth top Corning stove and I am never without it any more. Barb

Hot Water and Fabric Softener Sheet:

Soak in hot water and a fabric softener dryer sheet for several hours or overnight. The cooked-on gunk and grease should be easier to clean. You may have to do this a few times depending on how old and cooked-on the grease is.

Boil Water and Baking Soda Inside; Soft Scrub Outside:

I boil water with baking soda to loosen cooked-on food. On the exterior, I used Soft Scrub (with bleach) on a Teflon/rubber sponge scrubbie. I hang my pans, including the copper ones, on a decorative pan rack so that everyone can see them so they have to look good! And I do get compliments on my pans!

Oxiclean or Baking Soda

I used Oxyclean to get the build-up off of some pots I bought recently. I made a paste, then covered the burned-on grease. I let it sit about 6 hours then use a Dobbie pad (scrubber). Or use an SOS pad to remove the grease. Test a small area, in case it would remove your color, mine were stainless steel pots. Or, better yet, use a paste of baking soda, let it sit a few hours then scrub it. If there is still grease remaining, soak it in hot water and Dawn dish detergent (or any dish soap that removes grease). Then try the baking soda paste again. Csinbad

Oven Cleaner

Use an oven cleaner that doesn't require heating the oven first.

SOS Pad and Dawn or Ammonia:

The best way I know of to get grease off pans or stove is with an SOS pad dipped in a bit of Dawn dish soap mixed half and half with water in a cup. If it is baked on, try dipping the pad in ammonia and water. Nell form Texas

Hot Water & Dishwashing Compound:

So long as the pan isn't aluminum, you can soak it overnight in a sink full of hot water and dishwashing compound (the kind for machines). It will scrub clean beautifully in the morning -- this is a very good method for stained Corning ware, glass and enamel.

To get the dishwashing compound to dissolve completely, stir it up in a cup of boiling water, then add to the hot water in the sink. Karen in Seattle

RE: How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans?

Tip: Never use the aerosol PAM-type cooking sprays, since you don't notice it on pans before using it and it bakes on and is nearly impossible to remove. The same can be said for spraying things like the George Foreman Grills, there are oversprays that bake on the exterior of the grill. (08/08/2004)

By Syd

What really works to clean cooked on grease off pans? It seems like I have tried everything, cream of tartar/vinegar, baking soda/vinegar, baking soda/water, Dawn and Ajax. Right now my house smells of vinegar so bad my chest burns from breathing it. Please help.

Kacie from Magnolia, TX

Used coffee grounds mixed with water and left on overnight usually loosen the worst grease, baked on food, and burnt food. (03/21/2009)

By yarnlady

I read on here to use Mr. Clean eraser and yes I know it says not to use on stainless steel, but I had burnt food and tried everything. I did try the eraser and it worked like a charm. Use it as a last resort. I figured if it didn't work I would have to throw it away. But it did work. (03/23/2009)

By castleberrycc

Biological washing powder, the pure sort and hot water. Soak over night and Bob's your uncle.

popet UK (03/24/2009)

By popet

This works everytime. I fill the bottom of the pan with about one to two inches of water and Dawn dish liquid. I then bake it for about 15 minutes at 350*. I take it out let it sit for about 5 minutes and then wipe off anything that is burnt on. (03/24/2009)

By bina2j

For starters, as another poster said, "never" use Pam. It leaves a build up. I suspect this is what is actually on your pans, not grease.

However, if you have burnt on residue, Bon Ami is a wonderful product (similar to Barkeeper's Friend which is what I used to use until my cleaning lady recommended Bon Ami). This will not scratch. I use it on my stainless steel appliances for cleaning instead of the stuff recommended. Good luck. (03/24/2009)

By tnsink

The navy uses coke to clean ovens. I'd try that rather than elbow grease and powders. I'd leave it on the grease overnight, rinse and/or repeat the next day. (03/24/2009)

By lyndagayle62

Cooking oil was filled up in my Calphalon pot. It started boiling and spilled over the edge. Now there are yellow stains and black/brown burnt stains on the exterior of the pot. How do I clean this?