Can Clothes Effect a Dog's Behavior?

I have a female Chihuahua. I haven't really dressed her up until recently. It seems that when she is wearing clothes she acts more mellow. She doesn't jump up or play as hard. She still eats and poops normally.

It seems so strange to me that the clothes can make her chill out. She even barks less. She just follows me around and sits close to where I am. Once I take off the clothes she goes back to being more active and mischievous. I have checked the clothes to make sure that they are not binding or harming her in anyway. Has anyone else experienced this?

By Ana

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Ana,

They make a product called "Thunder Vests" that can help calm dogs during stressful times (like thunder storms). My vet recommended one as an option for my dog who freaks out on the 4th of July. Maybe clothes calm your dog the same way.

Its funny because we got our chocolate lab puppy a shirt for christmas and it has mellowed him tremendously. The minute you take it off he goes back to being hell on 4 paws. We like the shirt. Our we being cruel? Its not tight on him at all. Lets us know.

I too have heard of Thunder Vests for dogs, they act to help negate anxiety. I'm not sure the exact science behind them but it does seem that maybe there may be some correlation between dressing your dog and him behaving more!

The clothes might have your dog scared to do anything out of the ordinary.

Well I can see someone else already told you about Thunder vests. I have a Boston Terrier and he too is much calmer when I put a sweater or his winter coat on him in the cold weather. He doesn't mind wearing them, he just seems to cease activity. He'll even fall over on the couch when I'm trying to get him dressed. It's like he's gone boneless!

Any type of clothing for dogs calms them. As to why, you'll probably have to ask an animal trainer. I would simply like to point out that you do not need to pay any extra for a dog clothing item simply because it claims to have a calming effect. The $5 shirt does just as well as the $50 shirt.

I have a bull mastiff/ amstaff .. He is just a little over a year old. He is huge! I bought him a KU sweeter for Christmas and he calms down almost immediately. Lays down next to me and just chills. The sweater fits him fine, he eats at dinner time, goes out when it's time.. He simply just is calmer. Does anyone know why?

My dog Toro does the exact same thing! I do believe that clothes do effect a dog's behavior.

Our 90 pound lab recently had surgery on his stomach and the vet recommended a tshirt if he scratched at it. Well he did, so we put a large v neck t on him. At first he hesitated to walk but only for a few moments. He has no problem letting us change it when needed so he must not dislike it. I thought the tshirt was to help prevent injury if he scratched at it, but have found he actually is scratching much less as well. I definitely believe clothes effect their behavior.

Pets Dogs AdviceMay 10, 2011
Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
Putting on Jeans
Saving Money on Clothes While Dieting
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Skunk
Understanding Skunk Behavior
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 21, 2017 at 7:27:29 PM on 10.0.1.53 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.