Can Clothes Effect a Dog's Behavior?

I have a female Chihuahua. I haven't really dressed her up until recently. It seems that when she is wearing clothes she acts more mellow. She doesn't jump up or play as hard. She still eats and poops normally.

It seems so strange to me that the clothes can make her chill out. She even barks less. She just follows me around and sits close to where I am. Once I take off the clothes she goes back to being more active and mischievous. I have checked the clothes to make sure that they are not binding or harming her in anyway. Has anyone else experienced this?

By Ana

They make a product called "Thunder Vests" that can help calm dogs during stressful times (like thunder storms). My vet recommended one as an option for my dog who freaks out on the 4th of July. Maybe clothes calm your dog the same way.

I too have heard of Thunder Vests for dogs, they act to help negate anxiety. I'm not sure the exact science behind them but it does seem that maybe there may be some correlation between dressing your dog and him behaving more!

The clothes might have your dog scared to do anything out of the ordinary.

Well I can see someone else already told you about Thunder vests. I have a Boston Terrier and he too is much calmer when I put a sweater or his winter coat on him in the cold weather. He doesn't mind wearing them, he just seems to cease activity. He'll even fall over on the couch when I'm trying to get him dressed. It's like he's gone boneless!

Any type of clothing for dogs calms them. As to why, you'll probably have to ask an animal trainer. I would simply like to point out that you do not need to pay any extra for a dog clothing item simply because it claims to have a calming effect. The $5 shirt does just as well as the $50 shirt.

I have a bull mastiff/ amstaff .. He is just a little over a year old. He is huge! I bought him a KU sweeter for Christmas and he calms down almost immediately. Lays down next to me and just chills. The sweater fits him fine, he eats at dinner time, goes out when it's time.. He simply just is calmer. Does anyone know why?

My dog Toro does the exact same thing! I do believe that clothes do effect a dog's behavior.

Pets Dogs AdviceMay 10, 2011
Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
Putting on Jeans
Saving Money on Clothes While Dieting
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Understanding Skunk Behavior