Getting White Washclothes White Again

My white washcloths turn pinkish after continual uses and washes. I tried using bleach to get the hint of pink out, but that doesn't work. I'm guessing that this pink occurs from the type of water we have. I notice that my toilet bowls turn pinkish when they are not cleaned within 10 days. After scrubbing the toilet bowl, though, the pink tint does go away. But this isn't the case with the washcloths. Any ideas on reasons and solutions out there? I only wash the washcloths with whites--no dark colors, etc. Thanks!

Cindi from Maryland

have you tried color remover or iron out

You can buy bluing in the laundry section of the store. It comes in a small bottle and will last for a long time, as you only use a few drops per washer-load. Just put it in the rince cycle. It really helps dingy whites or water-stained whites look much whiter. (Don't use TOO much or you end up with Blues instead of Whites, LOL) You might also try putting a cup of OxyClean in the wash cycle... that stuff really works, too... it took grass-stains, caked mud, etc. off my son't white football uniform pants. Hope it helps!

Try soaking in vinegar and water solution. You probably have hard water. You may want to consider having a water softener installed.

To whiten my washcloths, I use a goodly amount of liquid bleach and liquid laundry soap -- I put the cloths in while the tub is filling, punch them down into the water, and let them soak 5-10 minutes. Let 'em go through the wash and rinse cycles, then put 'em through the wash and rinse cycles again with only clear water both cycles.

Home and Garden Cleaning FabricNovember 5, 2007
Raccoon in park trash bin with plastic bag in its mouth.
Keeping Raccoons Out of the Trash
Wood with a screw in it.
Fixing a Loose Screw in Wood
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
laminate wood flooring
White Marks on Laminate Flooring