Eating a Low-Salt Diet

My husband has just been put on a salt-restricted diet due to a heart attack. I have no trouble finding or inventing low salt recipes but I'm curious if he will eventually not miss the salt. He salts everything (at least he did before I got rid of the salt shaker) so it's going to be a big change for him. I personally never could stand anything salty so it won't make a difference to me.

By thursday_next from IN

My sister in law changed my brother over to no salt. It looks and tastes like salt and he didn't even notice.

Try adding a little powdered mustard to replace some of the salt. The mustard is zingy and helps to bring out the other flavours in the dish. Also try adding a little olive oil and red wine vinegar to your dishes. His tastebuds will adjust to the lower or no salt. It takes about 2 weeks. My hubby and I have been on low salt for 3 years. When I eat something salty now, it feels like it burns my mouth.

The no salt stuff I bought tastes like metal shavings, nasty.

I'm on a no-salt diet and it took a while for me to get used to the idea but if you use spices it really helps. good luck.

This is coming from a former salt-a-holic, I used to put salt on EVERYTHING. i found out that I have high blood pressure and decided on my own to eliminate salt from my diet. The first week was hard, it seemed that everything tasted blah, but then I soon realized what food really tasted like. It is strange to eat food now and how great things taste and I wonder why I used to literally cover it with salt. I haven't used salt in two years and don't miss it a bit. Don't go for the substitutes.

To sela gal. Yes, the problem IS with salt or rather sodium. Sea salt isn't going to help. We don't need as much salt to live as some people think. He'll get plenty. Besides I didn't ask for recipes or salt substitutes I asked for a time line to get over salt cravings.

I think his doctor knows what he's talking about when he says cut down the sodium drastically and sea salt has sodium.

The problem is NOT with salt, it's with processed salt! And processed salt is in everything. Try using real salt in it's natural form. It still contains all the minerals. Some sea salt is processed too so be careful. Himalayan Salt is great. We need salt tolive, but we need the real salt, not the processed junk.

Our rule has always been to taste it first. Keep trying, read lables and get reduced salt items. Try not to use too many pre-packaged things. Don't add salt to cooking, except baking items that need it to cook right. It takes about 2 weeks to get over the cravings. And then about a month in, if it has salt, it is way too salty for your taste buds! Good luck, it is easier if it is you and not your husband!

You can't still create tasty, yet healthy meals even without salt. Have you tried any salt-free seasonings for your food. For example, garlic, turmeric, curry, cayenne pepper, and onions all add a lot of flavor and no sodium. I like to make baked chicken or fish and use a mix of seasonings like these to create unique blends and never bored. One brand name of salt-free yet tasty seasoning blends is Mrs. Dash.

Had this many years from some magazine.

Salt Free Seasoning - Crush dried basil, marjoram,parsley flakes, thyme and savory and use 1 teaspoon each.

Mix into 1 teaspoon each of pepper, onion powder, sage, ground mace.

Add in 1 Tablespoon garlic powder and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper.

STORE airtight container. Makes 1/4 cup.

One serving = 1/2 teasp. diabetic exchange FREE. 3 calories, trace saturated fat, trace fiber, trace protien, 0 cholestrol, 1mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate.

Three years ago we began a low sodium diet due to a heart attack. My husband had also added salt to everything even before he tasted it. I think within the first year we had adjusted to it. Now if we go somewhere and eat so called "regular" food it tastes awful. I had a balsamic vinegret salad dressing at a restaurante recently that tasted like brine. Best of luck and be assured you will find eating healthy fun and delicious. Merlene

Cooking With Low Salt
Cooking With Low or No Salt
Food and Recipes Food Tips DietingApril 6, 2009
low salt recipes
Low Sodium Recipes
Bowl of plain  yogurt.
Low Fat Yogurt Recipes
Protein Powder
Low Carb Low Protein Powder for Breakfast Shakes
A box of Goldfish pretzels snacks.
Saving Money on Diet Snacks
🎉
🎄