Praying Mantis

I found this praying mantis in my driveway. Found an old jar and scooped him up to take to my grandkids. I knew my grandson would appreciate how cool they look!

He is holding it in this photo, but my granddaughter wanted no part in the BUG! We enjoyed watching it for quite awhile then we set him free in a tree.

By Robbie

That's wonderful :) I haven't seen a praying mantis in a long time. He is so cute! Thanks for sharing.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Very beautiful! I love spotting these creatures when I find them I feel so lucky! I always spend time with them and watch them. I use to feed them flies as a child and watch them eat bugs. They eat everything with their two hands and they eat as if they were dining on a cob of corn. They turn it in their hand and look and then take a bite. They are endlessly amusing!

Thank you so much for posting this! Thumbs up!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

In the fall while cutting back my flowers, I find their cocoons or egg pouch. Don't know for sure what they are called but they look like a cocoon. I save them in a jar with netting on top. In the spring they hatch and I have thousands of baby praying mantis. It's quite a sight to see. One year. I had 2 different species. From one cocoon hatched brown babies and the other green babies. I love to show them to the young children and let them release them in the garden. Be sure not to bring the cocoon in the house. If they hatch and get out of the jar, you'll have a mess. They are very tiny.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

A couple years ago, a praying mantis decided to camp out on our front screen door. I think it was a good place because our porch light automatically comes on in the evenings, and it attracts a lot of bugs (FOOD!). Every evening we'd stand inside and watch him through the glass. One night we went to check on him, and he was shedding his skin! It was really exciting for my daughter to get to watch him molt.

This year we have a big spider that set up shop toward the top of our porch/entryway. Like the mantis, I think he's taking advantage of all the bugs attracted by our light at night.

Reply Like this photo? Yes