Praying Mantis

I found this praying mantis in my driveway. Found an old jar and scooped him up to take to my grandkids. I knew my grandson would appreciate how cool they look!

He is holding it in this photo, but my granddaughter wanted no part in the BUG! We enjoyed watching it for quite awhile then we set him free in a tree.

By Robbie

That's wonderful :) I haven't seen a praying mantis in a long time. He is so cute! Thanks for sharing.

Very beautiful! I love spotting these creatures when I find them I feel so lucky! I always spend time with them and watch them. I use to feed them flies as a child and watch them eat bugs. They eat everything with their two hands and they eat as if they were dining on a cob of corn. They turn it in their hand and look and then take a bite. They are endlessly amusing!

Thank you so much for posting this! Thumbs up!

In the fall while cutting back my flowers, I find their cocoons or egg pouch. Don't know for sure what they are called but they look like a cocoon. I save them in a jar with netting on top. In the spring they hatch and I have thousands of baby praying mantis. It's quite a sight to see. One year. I had 2 different species. From one cocoon hatched brown babies and the other green babies. I love to show them to the young children and let them release them in the garden. Be sure not to bring the cocoon in the house. If they hatch and get out of the jar, you'll have a mess. They are very tiny.

A couple years ago, a praying mantis decided to camp out on our front screen door. I think it was a good place because our porch light automatically comes on in the evenings, and it attracts a lot of bugs (FOOD!). Every evening we'd stand inside and watch him through the glass. One night we went to check on him, and he was shedding his skin! It was really exciting for my daughter to get to watch him molt.

This year we have a big spider that set up shop toward the top of our porch/entryway. Like the mantis, I think he's taking advantage of all the bugs attracted by our light at night.

November 3, 2010 Flag

Preacher (Eastern Mantis)

Preacher is an Eastern Mantis that is at least 8 months old. I told my brother I collected things with praying manti on them. He was asking around at different places trying to find something with a praying mantis. At a greenhouse he was told they didn't have anything but they had a live praying mantis. He found it on a plant at one end of the store and bought the plant with him on it. He gave it to me as a birthday gift.

By Suntydt from Tazewell, TN

Answers:

Preacher (Eastern Mantis)

I think that's pretty cool. Alien looking thing isn't he? Everything needs love, good for you. Check out good old ebay and just type the word praying mantis, or mantis or even eastern mantis and I'm sure you'll come up with something. What do they eat? (01/10/2010)

By YORKIEPOO

Preacher (Eastern Mantis)

What a cool story and interesting pet! :-) (01/12/2010)

By Deeli

Preacher (Eastern Mantis)

These are so cool Last year in the bushes three town homes down there was a nest of them. They hatched and there were little babies everywhere. At one point we had a couple on our bushes too. One came on our windowsill and I was able to snap this picture. They really are neat looking creatures! Neat for you! (01/12/2010)

By Trundgirl

RE: Preacher (Eastern Mantis)

Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis Information and Photos
Photos Pets OtherNovember 3, 2010
Squirrel eating a flower.
Protecting Bulbs from Wildlife
Praying Mantis
Caring for a Praying Mantis
A chaffinch sitting on a rock by a garden pond.
Keeping Ponds Safe for Fish and Wildlife
Pond Fish
Protecting Pond Fish From Wildlife
🎄