My Shih Tzu is 10 weeks old today and was diagnosed with Parvo. He has already started his shots, will that help him out or will it be worse? He's hospitalized on an i.v.. He weighed 3lbs, now he's down to 2lbs. Can he survive and why did he get the virus after he had started his shots?
Dana from Gadsden, AL
Bear in mind that I'm not a vet and even if I were a vet I'm not there to see your dog. However, my husband IS a vet and I've worked with him for 22+ years so I do know some things.
First, just starting the vacs. does not supply total immunity. A dog needs the complete series to get the full benefit.
Second, parvo is terribly contagious and exposure is easy to come by. There is some belief that it will lessen the effects of parvo if the vacs. have been started.
Third, a healthy (before the sickness) puppy has a better chance of surviving. If your dog was in good health, fed well, etc. the chances are better for a recovery. Fourth, DO NOT listen to those who may tell you to "take him home and care for him yourself" because you cannot do the IV's for rehydration and injections to prevent vomiting and the very close care that parvo requires. Your vet can keep an eye on him and do immediatly what needs to be done.
One question: Has a diagnosis of parvo been made or is this maybe corona? Corona is a puppy illness much like parvo but not nearly as deadly. Either way, leave him there and let the pros do what they're trained and practiced in doing.
There's another thing I forgot earlier. You wondered why, since the vacs. were started, the pup still got parvo. Where did he get his vac.? Many times owners get vaccine from the pet store or feed store and several things can happen to the med. before the pup gets it. Sometimes the store doesn't handle it properly. We sometimes got vaccine in that was not on ice (summer delivery that arrived on Monday after being shipped on Friday) and we would refuse delivery. All places don't do that because they don't realize the importance of keeping it cold. Then if it was still good owners sometimes leave it in the car and get it warm. Sometimes they don't give the injection properly. If your vet gave the vac. all this is for nothing but I had to ask...
I just wanted you to know we're thinking of you and your puppy. Please keep us updated.
Grandma Jan and Kato the Wonder Dog
Dana - My shih-tzu and I are thinking of you and yours. We are hoping for the best. :) Kathy & Lily
Have you checked with the breeder to see if the other puppies also have parvo? Maybe when you bought him, he was already infected. We lost 2 dogs to parvo about 20 years ago. I hope he gets better.
My puppy also has had his shots. He is about 18 weeks old and got his shots about two months ago. About 3 days ago he started having diarrhea. Today he is kind of lethargic. He still eats on his own and drinks on his own. Could this still be parvo?
#1: Yes your dog can get Parvo during the time of the vaccination, any time during the series. They inject a live virus into the dog. A dog with a weak immune system can't handle the live virus being injected in them
#2: It takes 3 days to incubate, the Parvo could have come from the vaccination or poorly cleaned vets exam room.
#3:Breeders rarely admit they have any problems and try to hide things to keep from being sued.
#4:Parvo is a virus and as such is treated like any other virus, antibiotics and lots of fluids. Vets also say once bleeding occurs theres nothing left to do... WRONG again! Proper treatment can be done at home and successfully but it takes a lot of effort and time.The tough part is the constant hourly treatment especially for just one person. I just did it for two dogs by myself using Parvaid, Pedialyte, Gatorade, Beef Liver, Amoxicillen and then chicken broth and soft canned dog food. Both dogs pulled through and are now active and eating on their own again. Both had bloody stools and urine and on one occasion each threw up blood but BOTH survived!
The biggest thing is keeping them hydrated during the early and mid phases as well as keeping their electrolytes up too, that's where the pedialyte and Gatorade work. The Beef Liver helps their blood and liver while the Parvaid coats the intestines and stomach.
Parvo incubates for three days then attacks the intestines and bone marrow. It does this for 7 to 10 days then it takes 6 weeks to completely rid the dog of it, during that time do not vaccinate that or any dog it is in contact with!
Parvo incubation is three to ten days; if you took your pup to the vet for shots within ten days of bringing it home--the answer is likely the dog brought it home from the breeder.
Would let the breeder know ( if the breeder doesn't know already)--the entire litter likely has it.
Did your vet give the shot or did you get them from a feed store? I had 5 puppies get parvo and they all had three shots. I bought them and gave them myself. I purchased them from Tractor Supply. I learned the hard way, saving a few bucks isn't worth my pups lives. My vet said the shots don't prevent them from getting parvo, but if they do get it, it wont be as bad. Well, if this isn't as bad, I would hate to see bad. If your pup is at the vet and they are giving him the fluids and antibiotics, he should pull through. All mine started eating on day 4. I lost one out of 5. And I gave the fluids and meds myself. Good luck.
I recently lost a 4 mo old pup to parvo and she had two of her shots, she was taken to the vet and I was given antibiotics for an infection tht occurs with the virus, I had given her solo ject and the vet claimed tht was one not recommended, thy recommended spectra, both bought in store, parvo can't be treated but the effects can until thy pull thru which may tke a week, luckily u caught it in an early stage, mine wasn't admitted cuz she was already to dehydrated to get an IV in her so leave her at the vet. U need to bleach newhere the pup pooped or vomited cuz it stays a yr I think. I tried to keep mine alive and didn't have enuff funds for other meds, I gave her the antibiotics, Greek yogurt which soothes the stomach, and pedialyte but lost her nine days later, I thought she was gonna pull thru lasting tht long but it was to late. I found tht the ppl before me had one with parvo and the spot I took her to go potty was where id took my dog according to my neighbors. It coulda came from ur own yard if it isn't fenced and other animals come up, its hard to pinpoint where thy get it if thy go places and if I've had her awhile already it more likely came from your yard or sum where uve tken her, all it takes is for them to walk thru an infected area to get it
I got a great dane puppy she 2 and half months old had first shot ? We're from but she got parvo luck I catch it early stay week at vet till my money ran out but she now 3 mounth old and alive just skin and bone right now went from 40 bl to 10 now just wondering how long take to get her wait back
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!