Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Creative Closet Space Ideas

I'm sure a lot of people have asked this, but I really do need a lot of help. My fiance and I just moved into an apartment, which we have never done before, we have always lived in a house.

Our closet is like a coat closet. It barely fits any of our clothes. I have no where to put hoodies or shoes. For shoes I bought something for the back of my door and for the front door I have a rack.

For hoodies I got those suction bags for the ones I don't wear. For the ones I do wear, I have no where to put them. My closet is maxed out and I can't put them in a dresser because those are maxed out as well.

I have no where to put plastic bins either. My bed is too short and the floor of the closet doesn't work either. Please help.

By Nina from Denver, CO

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Vi Johnson [231]11/14/2010

You could put the clothes you are not going to be wearing in a storage "Locker" ( smaller than a storage unit.) Prices are different in all states. Call a storage Co. in your area and ask what the charge would be, Then go look at it to see if it is big enough for your over flow. They may have several sizes and prices. And be sure to read the small print on any agreement you have to sign.
Good Luck, GG Vi

By Anita11/13/2010

Have you thought of under the bed storage bins? They are quite handy and will hold most things. I have found them to be very useful!

By Lisa [2]11/13/2010

You can buy bed risers that would lift your bed high enough to slide plastic bins underneath. The risers can be found at hardware stores and cost around $10/set.

By Joan [13]11/12/2010

You must have a corner someplace where you could stack plastic bins. It might not always be a convenient corner or even look real nice to guests, but that is beside the point. It is storage. I have lived in various size apartments since 1983 and have learned that it is the storage that counts, not necessarily what you like or what other people think.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Creative Closet Space Ideas

I need help with closet space. I just bought my first house and it only has one closet which I'm going to use for my daughter. So where am I supposed to put all of my wife's and my clothes? I looked at wardrobe thingies but there are too small and too expensive. if anybody has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Blaine

RE: Creative Closet Space Ideas

In the days before houses were built with closets, people used hooks and armoires (04/19/2005)

By lindal

RE: Creative Closet Space Ideas

My husband and I have the same delimna. I went down to Wal-Mart and bought several of their free standing garment racks. They are in the laundry department. They are made out of light weight metal tubing and come unassembled. They cost me $5.00 each and took two minutes to put together, but they work great. (04/19/2005)

By floppy4me

RE: Creative Closet Space Ideas

Stores like Target, Kohl's and Wal-Mart also have those "cube" systems made of pine and laminate which you can put together into different configurations. Those are great! Some of them are great for folded sweaters and T-shirts, and you can put garment rods between them to hang pants, etc., too! (04/19/2005)

By Ela

RE: Creative Closet Space Ideas

On a home improvement show last week, they hung metal closet rods at the end of a room and then hid the rods behind curtains. Looked very nice and gave them lots of storage. (04/19/2005)

By Ruth

RE: Creative Closet Space Ideas

I'll tell you what a friend did. She had a bedroom that they used for an office/guestroom, but didn't realize that it really didn't have closets until parents came for an extended stay. Then reality set in.

She and her DH hired a carpenter to build a wall to wall closet on one end of the room. This gave them nice storage and a custom designed closet where none existed before and did not take much space away from the room.

My next suggestion to you is to do what a SIL did, and that was to make a small spare bedroom into her closet by hanging standing racks covered with plastic around the room. The plastic is suspended from a shelf above the rod, so it doesn't interfere with the curved ends of the hangers.

The most practical solution is to see if your closet can be placed in another room, thus keeping your bedroom for the bed and dresser only. I have seen self standing closets, so you might want to consider installing a few of these in the bedroom.

Don't hang clothing on hooks, this will pull the garments out of shape and weaken the fabric. (04/19/2005)

By cookwie

RE: Creative Closet Space Ideas

Go to a military surplus store and if they have a wall locker like the military uses they are half way decent in size. That is what we are using. (05/16/2005)

By Angel1031indigus

RE: Creative Closet Space Ideas

Free-standing garment racks are flimsy and cannot bear weight for a long time. The joints are usually plastic and will tilt over time.

The best bet is to start building a closet, step by step. First, the 2x4 frame, studs, and the wood dowel hanging rod with silicone on it. Next time your budget allows, add a curtain, real wood or dry wall. Each step, add a new part.

Do it yourself. Check out DIYnet.net or hire a carpenter for each step. You won't miss the space you took from the room, and you soon will have a huge room-wide closet. Mirrors, anyone? That's next time. This will really increase the value of your home. Losing a "whole" bedroom won't.

For shoe cubes, drawers, check out eBay or Craig's List or other low-cost sources and sales. Be flexible. Closets don't grow in gardens. They were built by humans; that's you and me. (08/13/2005)

By the Oracle

RE: Creative Closet Space Ideas

Lowe's sells closet organizers, I think starting at around $24 and up. They are great. You can use it, even if you do not have an extra closet, just need an empty wall. (08/13/2005)

By jenjoejace

RE: Creative Closet Space Ideas

My little sister has a big white closet. It was mine until she was born. It has two drawers at the bottom. At the top, it has double doors and inside, a pole for clothes hangers. You can also fold clothes under the pole. Then put books or collector's items on the top. You can get one of these in Lowe's or a furniture store. It's Nifty Thrify! (08/27/2005)

By Aileen

RE: Creative Closet Space Ideas

If you're trying to be decorative and have a spare room (and you can live with crazy ideas ideas on your walls), get a bunch of old leather high-heeled shoes(3 inches or higher) and nail them into the wall through the ball of the shoe. (You should also glue the heels to the wall, too) The toes of the shoes should face the floor for the best hanging. You can also get leather paints to change the colours of your shoes, too. I don't know if this helps you any, but hey, it's a new idea. (05/19/2006)

RE: Creative Closet Space Ideas

I have a 1 bedroom house and also had a storage problem. I bought a galvanized metal trash can, plumbing insulation, and I had those "wobbly" 3 legged decorator tables with a glass top. The trash can was the same height as the decorator table, so the table cloth fit to the correct height also. I fit the pluming insulation over the lip of the trash can to create a cushion and prevent the top from sliding off. I used the top of that 3 legged table and the glass to create a top. What you now have is a decorator table with storage. I have (1) in my bedroom to use as a bedside table and I store out of season clothing in it. I have (2) in the living room used as end tables and one of them stores guest linens and extra blankets, and the other is holding holiday decorations. Great space saving solution. The table cloth covers the can completely so your guests will not know you have garbage cans in your bedroom/livingroom! (09/19/2008)

By Cindy

RE: Creative Closet Space Ideas

Online stores like containerstore.com and ikea.com have great clothing organization solutions. Ikea even has modular wardrobe units that can be customized. Depending on where you live both of these online sites also have stores, usually in larger cities, where they will sit with you and help you plan your space for free. Ikea has a planner online, but it can be a little bit of a pain in the butt to use.

The Container Store has an 800 number that you can call and they will consult with you over the phone if they don't have a store location in your area. Ikea probably offers a similar service, but I can't be 100% sure of that. Either way both sites are worth looking at because their storage systems are easy to install, relatively affordable and they can be customized to be visually appealing so they don't need to be behind closed doors. Hope this helps! (02/12/2009)

By neatfreak85

RE: Creative Closet Space Ideas

A person can also get one of those ready to assemble armoires, or "pantry units" only instead of putting the shelves in it get a set of those closet rod holders and put one on each end and then find a good heavy rod to hang clothes on. For the rod a person could even use an old broom stick cut to the right length. Also make sure the the "pantry unit" is the right depth for hangers. (07/19/2009)

By redhatterb