Tips for Growing Lilies

What do you do with lilies when they stop flowering?

By Janet from UK

Assuming you mean stop flowering for the season (versus stop all together), leave them in place because the stalk helps transfer nutrients from the sun down to the bulb. Only remove the stalk when it has browned. You can always plant a nice groundcover at the base so you have a cleaner look after the flowers fall off.

I just leave my dry stems in the plants/gardens to mark where they will be for next year or till you garden clean up and can locate them. My lilies and peppers and cherry/pear tomatoes share the same garden and flourish greatly since we stuck them there. Something must come from the one that gives to the other. They are both fantastic.

Some lilies bloom only once and then die down. These are called day lilies. Others like the stella d'oro types will continue to bloom provided you pick off the dead flowers. In each case let them die down. You can clip the very dry plant material if you find it unsightly. Good luck. When in doubt check with a nursery, or fellow gardner.

August 15, 2011 Flag

I have some lily plants that have bloomed. They are in an area that I would like to stop watering as I am making that area a little/no water area. I will be moving the plants this fall after they die out. Will there be any harm to the plants by not watering now?

By Mindy

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would say you don't need to water them, but do not deprive them either. The plant remains green after it has bloomed because that is what replenishes the bulb for next year.

September 23, 2010 Flag

Lilies are easy to grow, being relatively disease and pest free. They like moderate to hot weather and lots of sunshine. They can grow in partial shade if they have 4 to 6 hours of sunshine every day.

They are very hardy and will grow just about anywhere in any type of soil, but will benefit if you add some type of fertilizer. Lilies also love water. You should give them at least 1 inch of water a week, or a good soaking every three days.

Lilies will be one of the hardiest perennials in your garden.

daylilies.jpg

By Sandra

Answers:

Tips for Growing Daylilies

I agree that daylilies are easy to grow. I have over 100 different kinds of daylilies in my yard with more, I'm sure, in years to come. They are reliable bloomers (as long as the deer do not eat off the buds on the scape).

The picture you are showing is actually, I believe, an Asiatic lily, not a daylily. They are also easy to grow and reliable bloomers (once again, as long as the deer do not eat them). Asiatic lilies do not need the water that a daylily could use, though, or they will rot. (05/26/2005)

By valleyrimgirl

Tips for Growing Daylilies

Daylilies can be almost too hardy. I inherited some rather ugly orange ones when I bought my house. They have literally taken over the garden. I have dug and dug, but still can't seem to get them all out. (Point your hungry deer in my direction, please!) I wish mine were like the beautiful Asiatic lilies pictured above. (05/27/2005)

By Claudia

Tips for Growing Lilies

What you are seeing on the lily stem are called bulblets. Some lilies have lots of bulblets. These are little seeds of the lily. If they drop on the ground, most will overwinter and you will have many more lilies in years to come. If you like the lily and want more, then let them, the bulblets, ripen and fall off, cover with a little soil and leave them.

This is a problem with some lilies. I had to literally sift through a 10 by 10 foot bed to clean it up from one of the lilies I used to have. I still am getting the occasional lily coming up but now I will zap it with Roundup because I do not want that lily in my yard anymore. It's like an invasive lily. It was pretty and I did win the best lily in our garden club show in summer one year, but...

You can let the lily bloom and then as soon as it is done blooming cut the stem to about 8 inches so it still has leaves left to replenish the bulb for next year, but no bulblets left to reproduce for you. (06/08/2005)

By valleyrimgirl

Growing Lilies
Growing Lilies
Home and Garden Gardening BulbsSeptember 23, 2010
Growing Cannas
Growing Canna Lilies
Growing Foxtail Lilies
Growing Foxtail Lilies
Orange Day Lilies
Getting Rid Of Day Lilies
Lilies
Growing Lilies in Pots
🎉
🎄