Can I Renew the Non-stick Surface on Pots?

By Shirely R 6 23

How can I renew the non-stick in my pots?

By Shirely from AL

Showing: Answers Sort

By kathleen williams 76 1,661 Flag

There have been reports that the non-stick Teflon coating is potentially harmful to people's health, especially when the Teflon is cracked or scratched. Several years ago I had this problem. I took a meat turner, scraped the lining out of a fry pan, used it a few months then donated it, good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By LizO 39 Flag

"How can I renew the non-stick in my pots?" You can't. Once non-stick starts coming off it's time to throw it out.

I highly recommend only using non-stick for items like eggs, pancakes and such and to only use a rubber or silicone spatula. For all the rest of your cooking get stainless steel or cast iron.

BTW, if you season and use cast iron correctly, over time you have the "original" non-stick pots and pans. The key is to use them mostly for fatty foods and not acidic foods until the seasoning has built up well.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

Not safe when it comes to cooking and ingesting food once the coating starts coming off but you don't need to throw them away either! Recycle!

I had a really, really large one where the Teflon was coming off and I now use it for a pedicure soap and water soak and a medium large size one I use for water and vinegar solution for cleaning :-) You could also use some of the pots as planters ;-)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By craftyme 3 11 Flag

Use the pan as a double broiler. Only to put water in. Can be used as a double boiler to make candles in, also.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cajun 59 327 Flag

http://tuberose.com/Teflon.html

You should rid all similar cookware as well as Aluminum [has been linked to Alzheimers]. Quality Stain. Steel cleans as well as the coated items; is lifetime durable and is an addition to your kitchen. The large Dept. stores are always having Sales; as well as searching the Internet for pricing.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

Aluminum cookware is not unsafe nor has it been scientifically proven to cause Alzheimer's! We have more of a chance of receiving excess aluminum in our systems taking medications, including antacids! http://www.ehso.com/ehshome/alzheimers.htm

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Non-Stick Frying Pan
Using Non-Stick Cookware
Consumer Advice General AdviceJanuary 10, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Built-in Book Shelf
Repainting a Built-in Shelf
Renewing Vows in a Wedding Dress
Choosing a Dress to Renew Your Vows
Dirty Pots and Pans
Cleaning Pots and Pans
Non-Stick Frying Pan
Using Non-Stick Cookware
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 5:14:10 PM on 10.0.2.36 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings