Using Non-Stick Cookware

Category Kitchen Tools
Non-Stick Frying Pan
Many cooks have some type of non-stick cookware in their kitchen. This is a guide about using non-stick cookware.

I want to share something my oncologist told me. He said he hopes I will replace all my "non-stick" cookware with good stainless steel products. He was very definite about this. Since I have come through the surgery and am now cancer free, I will do all he asks. It would be a small price to pay, wouldn't it, to help your body all you can? He has even written a great cookbook for cancer patients.

So, I hope if you are going through cancer or know someone that is, you will spread the word. Start small and add to your cookware as you can. Thanks for reading!

By MS.Scarlett from Oceanside, CA

Non-stick pans/skillets will keep their finish longer if you lightly coat them with oil. The non-stick finish is porous and will benefit from this conditioning. This really helps especially if you put any of these pans in the dishwasher. I do this when I buy any new pans/skillets that are non-stick and repeat the conditioning on occasion after using it awhile. I do not recommend putting non-stick pans in the dishwasher, even if the manufacturer says it is safe. The pan may come clean but the finish will break down faster.

By mkymlp from NE PA /USA

I really love this ceramic frying pan. It has an aluminum core and it works without any butter or anything. I am so happy with it, I had to share it on this site.

I got it two days ago and it was under $20, if I am not mistaken.

Does anyone else have a problem with their T-Fal cookware sticking? It seemed like when I would wash my skillet in the dishwasher that it came out a different color and the food in it would stick. Are you not supposed to put T-Fal cookware in the dishwasher? I paid a lot of money (in my opinion) to get pots and pans that don't stick. Is there something I can do to make the skillet nonstick again? Help!

(btw, I hand wash it in the sink now)

luv2craft from Normalville, Pennsylvania

Hi luv2craft. If you have a sort of grey build up it could be residue from the dishwasher powder or maybe your powder is too harsh?. You could try re-seasoning the pans by heating some oil fairly hot and rubbing at them with kitchen paper, or there should have been some instructions on how to do this with the pans. If that works next time just clean them out after use with kitchen paper then a quick rinse with warm soapy water and dry well. Hope this helps, or that someone has a brighter idea!

Cooking spray to the rescue. I use it for EVERYTHING.

No non-stick cookware should probably be put in the dishwasher. The detergent is very harsh, so probably is best to wash by hand. I have T-Fal myself and love it. I got a big set very reasonable at Sam's Club...actually I chose it and my Mom bought it for me for Christmas. I couldn't tell you how long I've had it now....maybe going on 8 yrs or so. I have put mine in the dishwasher occasionally but mostly I just wash by hand since they clean up very easily. I also only use plastic or wooden utensils with it. After all these years, I only have a small amt of wear on the dutch oven which gets used a lot.

Wasn't there instructions with the cookware on how to clean it? I do believe it comes with a guarantee but if it said not to wash in the dishwasher then I don't know if you have a leg to stand on. You could write them or perhaps find a website for T-Fal and see what they say. You might get them to replace the frying pan.

Oh and nothing sticks in my T-Fal so I'll bet something has happened with repeated trips to the dishwasher. Dishwasher detergent is quite strong! When I used to have a cast iron sink with porcelain coating, I'd let the sink soak with auto dishwashing detergent and hot water, and man it would really get it spotless and shining.

I don't know if there's anything you can do to keep things from sticking in that skillet. That's a shame! Contact T-Fal to see if they'll stand behind it.

Hi lov2craft. You should not have to wash a nonestick pan in a dish washer. After use just wipe it with a paper towl then rinse under warm water and then dry. If anything does stick to it just let soak in hot soapy water. I dont know how long you have had your pan. What you want to do it try taking it back to the shop that you got it from and say that you would like a replacement or you money back. Best of look happy eating.

my t-fal pans said they were dishwasher safe....but that it would discolour it

If memory serves, T-Fal's instructions say it can be washed in the dishwasher, but, as someone else said, it will discolor it. It went on to say, to restore its non-stick qualities, to put a drop or two of oil on it, then rub it around with a paper towel, so it leaves a very thin coat that cannot be felt. In my opinion, that would seal any pores in the surface, which food might get caught in.

Hi luv2craft, another thing about T-Fal is that they are not to be used on high heat. This will make them stick.

"Addicton" brings up a good point, one I'd forgotten....you shouldn't use high heat with T-Fal. I have a friend who had a skillet get discolored....even looked like it had a circle in the middle which matched the electric coil of her electric stove. She admitted to me that she usually put the heat up real high when she first started to cook something to get things going. I am probably more of the low and slow kind of cook when it comes to my T-Fal but also I have a gas stove so I can control the heat much better. Luv2craft, let us know what has happened with your pan. Did you contact T-Fal?

Well I put oil in the pan and rubbed it around with paper towel and it seemed to help. This morning I made scrambled eggs in it and they didn't stick. I did spray it with non-stick cooking spray first so that might have helped.

I've had this set of pots for about 3 or 4 years so there's probably no warranty on them.

I am guilty of turning up the heat to get food started though (electric stove) that might have been one of the problems along with washing the skillet in the dishwasher.

Thank You everyone that gave me suggestions on how to solve my problem!

If you want to make your pan non-sticking, heat your pan first. This works for any pan, even an old frying pan I got from a garage sale.

Just heat the pan, not on high heat so the burner is red, medium-high, when the pan is hot add your oil or butter or whatever you use.

Add your meat, eggs or whatever you are cooking. Fried eggs will slide right out of the pan.

Give it a try.

I've always been taught to NEVER put ANYTHING non stick in the dishwasher because it ruins the non stick coating.

The coating on the inside of pans coming off. Does anyone know if this is harmful to still keep cooking and using pans?

I finally just gave up on my T-Fal skillet and trashed it. I went to good ol Wally World and replaced it for $5.00! Surprising to me. It's not quite as big as the other one was, like it's the next step down, but since I'm just cooking for me now. It's ok.

I had a set of T-Fal for about 10 years and I washed it in the dishwasher, they only problem I had with that is that the prongs in the dishwasher tended to make little nicks in the finish. Summer of 2009, I bought I set of Paula Deene cookware that was non-stick and it did say not to wash in the dishwasher and also to not use oils of sprays in it.

How can I renew the non-stick in my pots?

By Shirely from AL

There have been reports that the non-stick Teflon coating is potentially harmful to people's health, especially when the Teflon is cracked or scratched. Several years ago I had this problem. I took a meat turner, scraped the lining out of a fry pan, used it a few months then donated it, good luck.

"How can I renew the non-stick in my pots?" You can't. Once non-stick starts coming off it's time to throw it out.

I highly recommend only using non-stick for items like eggs, pancakes and such and to only use a rubber or silicone spatula. For all the rest of your cooking get stainless steel or cast iron.

BTW, if you season and use cast iron correctly, over time you have the "original" non-stick pots and pans. The key is to use them mostly for fatty foods and not acidic foods until the seasoning has built up well.

How do you like the "green" pans, the Orgreenic pans? I bought one and it was non-stick for awhile, but now it sticks like everything else. I seasoned it right and did all I was supposed to do. Anyone else not loving it?

By Linda from Eustis, FL

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have a non-stick fry pan that has rubber on the handle. Is it true that if I cover the handle with foil, I can put it in the oven?

Holly from Bedford, NH

My advice: No. Unless its directions specifically states it will withstand oven use and to what temperature, use another pan. Only attempt this experiment if you're willing to throw it away afterwards.

I have put mine in the oven but not at a high temp. (400 and above)

Use heavy duty foil or double up on the least expensive.

The handle is probably not rubber, but silicone. Some of these handles can withstand normal oven heat, but it is wiser to contact the manufacturer's website and get the recommended limits for the pan. I have such a product from Kitchenaid and the handles are safe to 450 degrees. Good luck.

I found they will withstand fairly high temperatures, Problem is the handles don't seem to last as long, They start to crumble far far sooner and then you have to throw the pan out, Not worth it in my book, Buy a proper oven dish and use it, you can get the ones that will go from stove top to oven, Buy those

How do I clean up pan bottoms? They are non-stick cookware.

By Dorcas from Newfield, NY