How Safe are Pets When Traveling Air Cargo?

It's a question really, what if the cabin/plane looses pressure? What will happen to our pets shipped as "cargo"? I have a 90 lb. Golden Retriever, so it's a concern for me!

By Nell from NE PA

Read through these links thoroughly for all travel and safety information and then contact the airline you're going to be using for further information: ... ts-cargo-airline-safety-records.html,1360,1048,00.html ... rmation/pet_travel_options/index.jsp

Also, regarding the last link, please note that if your travels involve switching airlines that there might possibly be an additional pet travel fee.

My husband is a pilot and he says avoid putting your pets in the cargo hold no matter what unless it is an emergency. It is scary for them and, especially if the trip is long, it can be dangerous. Too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer (sitting on the ramp, waiting to be loaded). Just drive!

I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years and I have filled out more airline travel documents than I can count. Please be careful when flying your pet in cargo. If the area you are flying to is too cold or hot, your pet can sit on the tarmac for a long time before being loaded or unloaded. Please keep in mind that the pressure inside the cargo compartment can vary. It is VERY scary for any pet to travel by air. If you can drive to your destination.. please do so. You might be saving your pet's life. Good luck

Pets TravelApril 20, 2011
A/C Heater Vent
Ford F150 Air Conditioner Blowing Hot Air
Repairing an Air Mattress
Repairing an Air Mattress
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
Woman With Allergies
Traveling with Allergies