Slicing Onions Without Tears

Onions have been a part of my cooking for 50 years, and I'm still amazed at those who cannot cut one up without getting runny eyes. Here is how I avoid that.

Top and tail the onion without removing the outer skin. Halve it top to bottom, and place each half cut side down. One half at a time, remove the skin and chop or slice the onion, still "cut side" down. That's all. Doing that will avoid streaming eyes almost entirely. Mine have been free of it for many years.

By John from Queensland, Australia

I store my onions in the bottom of the refrigerator, you'll never get streaming eyes, try it, it's guaranteed to work.

Wearing goggles while chopping onions.
Preventing Tears When Chopping Onions
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsSeptember 23, 2010
chopping green onions
Chopping Green Onions
Slice of cantaloupe with other cantaloupes in the background.
Peeling and Slicing Melon
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Peeling Onions
Peeling Onions
🎄