Slicing Onions - Tips and Tricks

Category Helpful Hints
Not only can onions make you tear up, but they can be difficult to cut if you don't use the proper technique. Check out these slicing onions tips and tricks.

When I'm slicing onions, or anything round, I first cut a slice off one side, then I put the flat side down on the cutting board. When I slice the rest of it, it doesn't roll all over the place.

By Barbie from Chaffee, NY

This is a guide about preventing tears when chopping onions. Cutting onions releases an irritant that makes us tear up or cry.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

To slice onions without cutting your fingers and to keep them stable, use a fork (tine size of your choice) to pierce onion, then slice to desired thickness. You may have to re-position fork and onion as the onion gets smaller. Use a shallow bowl if you want to retain the onion juice. This works with other vegetables that are slippery or hard to hold as well.

By Lin from Atascadero, CA

Answers:

Use Fork When Slicing Onions

That is so clever. I don't know why I never thought of that. Thanks. Great tip. (08/24/2010)

By eve

Use Fork When Slicing Onions

I just tried it today. Wonderful tip! It also works on tomatoes and cukes. I used a large cold meat fork which has more widely spaced tines. Thanks. (08/27/2010)

By Marty Dick