Pumpkin Pie Recipe without Evaporated Milk

Does anyone have a recipe for pumpkin pie that doesn't use evaporated milk?

Viki from Abbeville, AL

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Cate in the UK (Guest Post) 10/31/2008

About.com does a gorgeous "Fresh Pumpkin Pie" try doing a search on that site. I had it as my first ever taste of pumpkin pie and I loved it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Margie M. (Guest Post) 10/31/2008

I used to bake to sell from my home, and ran out of evaporated milk and just had plain old skim milk. I used that and it was the BEST pumpkin pie I ever tasted. Nice and light and very tasty. Since then, I have never used evaporated milk at all. Hope this helps. Just use the same amount of regular milk (I use the can from the pumpkin to measure since it is on a 1 to 1 ratio).

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Guest (Guest Post) 11/01/2008

I just use regular milk, also, what ever type you have in the refrigerator or make from powdered milk.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By susan 8 1,368 11/01/2008

Is there a reason you don't want to use evaporated milk? An allergy? I've made it with soy milk and it turned out fine. I usually add a tablespoon or two of flour to help thicken the filling. I'm sure any other type of milk (rice, almond, etc) could be used too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Natalie Neufeld 2 14 11/02/2008

Viki, you can make your pumpkin pie without evaporated milk, no problem. I was baking for thanksgiving and had a panic attack when I couldn't find that can. I thought I had in the pantry! LOL funny how that works! So I took my chances, made it with regular milk, and added an extra 2 tb of sugar for sweetness. I was told it was the best pumpkin pie ever! Good Luck, Happy Baking, Blessings, nallorey.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Beth 25 1,120 11/03/2008

If it's just the sloppy part of using evaporated milk, long baking time, and not an allergy, try this one. It's the Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed milk recipe which is much quicker to make and bake and oh so delicious!

1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
1 (14 ounce) can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust

Combine all ingredients well, pour into crust and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Then turn the oven down and bake for an additional 35 to 40 minutes.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Hannah 7 5 10/07/2009

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No