Pumpkin Pie Recipes

Category Pumpkin
This favorite holiday traditional dessert can be made in a variety of ways. This page contains pumpkin pie recipes.

I truly love this recipe. It's so delicious and different from the traditional pumpkin pie. And you don't have to bake it.

Directions:

Mix cream cheese, 1 Tbsp. milk and sugar until smooth, stir in Cool Whip. Put in pie shell. Beat 1 cup milk, pumpkin, instant pudding and spice. Put on top of other mixture and chill for 4 hours.

By Barbara from Evington, Va.

It's pumpkin season in New England and this looks to be good crop - great after last year's disaster. This recipe is my total scratch recipe for Pumpkin Pie - starting with a pumpkin.

Pie Filling

Pie Crust:

Directions:

Prepare the Pumpkin: The day before you plan to make your pie, cook your pumpkin. Pick a Cinderella Pumpkin (they are short and wide with a light colored skin-looking like Cinderella's pumpkin carriage) because the very meaty and sweet and produce a creamy pulp when pureed. The texture is the secret to this recipe! I cut the pumpkin in half, seed it (I use an ice cream scoop with an serrated edge), then cut into 8ths and lay the pieces onto a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees F for about 30 minutes. Once the pumpkin is cooled, I scoop the pulp away from the skin, then I puree it in a processor. A large Cinderella (about 15 inch in diameter) will yield about 6 2-cup portions for pie - I freeze what I'm not going to use the next day, already portioned out. When doing this for future pies, thaw and strain out the water. FYI, I recently bought a pumpkin this size for $5 in Western Massachusetts.

Make the Crust: Combine the flour, confectioner's sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. With a pastry blender, cut the oil and butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the water and vinegar in a small bowl. Gradually add to the flour mixture, tossing lightly with a fork until the pastry is just moist enough to stick together. Shape the dough into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at least 30 minutes or up to 1 day. (For double crust - double ingredients and mix the same. Shape into 2 disks and chill for 30 minutes to 1 day.)

Make the Pie: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Combine sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs lightly in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into pie shell. Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F, bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes our clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or chilled.

My husband loves this pie and looks forward to the season when we can get fresh Cinderellas. It's a lot of work, but it's slow food that's well worth it. If you are gardener, I recommend adding Cinderella pumpkins to garden.

Servings: 8
Time:with cooking pumpkin-120 Minutes Preparation Time
60 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: Crust recipe is from Weight Watcher's Best Ever Desserts.

By JulieOM from Chicopee, MA

I am from the mountains of NC near Asheville. This is best pumpkin pie you will ever eat! My Mema actually used what she called "Candy Roaster", which is actually squash that they always grew in their garden. I don't garden so I use pumpkin and have even used canned pumpkin.

FYI: Early 20th century Appalachian Thanksgiving feasts included "candy roaster pie," instead of pumpkin pie. The Candy Roaster is highly prolific, with huge (some can weigh up to 60 lbs!) longish fruits of light orange with green tips. It has delicious orange flesh that is highly recommended for baking. The cooked, pureed flesh also freezes very well.

*For a lighter colored pie use pumpkin spice instead of cinnamon and nutmeg.

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in 9 inch deep dish pie crust or 2 small pie crusts.

Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees F. and continue baking for 40 minutes. The temps can vary depending on your oven.

This will also make 6 - 8 tarts or 14 small tarts.

Servings: 8
Time:up to 1 Hours Preparation Time
55 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: from Mama's Recipes by June Medlin

By Denise from NC

• 1 butterscotch pudding (3oz.)
  • 1/4 tsp. ginger
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • dash cloves
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 3/4 cup pumpkin or 1 lb. pumpkin
  • Baked pie shell

Directions:

Cook all ingredients together until thick and add the drained pumpkin or canned pumpkin. Pour into a baked pie shell, chill in refrigerator and serve with Cool Whip on top.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Mix the pumpkin and egg together and stir in the milk. Mix the salt, sugar, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg together. Pour the pumpkin mixture into an unbaked pie shell. Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes.

Add a crumbly Streusel top to your next homemade pumpkin pie. This page contains streusel-topped pumpkin pie recipe.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains homemade rustic pumpkin pie recipe. Making your holiday pie from scratch with your own pumpkin can be very satisfying.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is my favorite pumpkin pie recipe!

Slightly beat eggs. Add spices, salt, and sugars; blend. Add pumpkin and stir till blended. Add evaporated milk and blend all by hand. Enough filling for a 10 inch pie pan.

Mix everything together except egg whites. Beat those stiffly and beat in with remaining ingredients last with wire whip. Pour into unbaked pie shells. Sprinkle cinnamon on top.

Recipe for Walnut Pumpkin Pie. Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Combine pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, egg, 3/4 tsp. cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt; mix well. . .

Does anyone have a recipe for pumpkin pie that doesn't use evaporated milk?

Viki from Abbeville, AL

Answers

About.com does a gorgeous "Fresh Pumpkin Pie" try doing a search on that site. I had it as my first ever taste of pumpkin pie and I loved it.

I used to bake to sell from my home, and ran out of evaporated milk and just had plain old skim milk. I used that and it was the BEST pumpkin pie I ever tasted. Nice and light and very tasty. Since then, I have never used evaporated milk at all. Hope this helps. Just use the same amount of regular milk (I use the can from the pumpkin to measure since it is on a 1 to 1 ratio).

I just use regular milk, also, what ever type you have in the refrigerator or make from powdered milk.

Is there a reason you don't want to use evaporated milk? An allergy? I've made it with soy milk and it turned out fine. I usually add a tablespoon or two of flour to help thicken the filling. I'm sure any other type of milk (rice, almond, etc) could be used too.

Viki, you can make your pumpkin pie without evaporated milk, no problem. I was baking for thanksgiving and had a panic attack when I couldn't find that can. I thought I had in the pantry! LOL funny how that works! So I took my chances, made it with regular milk, and added an extra 2 tb of sugar for sweetness. I was told it was the best pumpkin pie ever! Good Luck, Happy Baking, Blessings, nallorey.

If it's just the sloppy part of using evaporated milk, long baking time, and not an allergy, try this one. It's the Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed milk recipe which is much quicker to make and bake and oh so delicious!

1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
1 (14 ounce) can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust

Combine all ingredients well, pour into crust and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Then turn the oven down and bake for an additional 35 to 40 minutes.

h

Please could someone give me a American recipe for pumpkin pie?

By Steve from Liverpool, England

Answers

This is about as American as it gets: I don't know if you have Libby's brand over there, if so, it should be on the label (at least around our Halloween time (10/31).

Libby's (brand) Pumpkin Pie (this has been on the can since 1950)

3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 large eggs
1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell
Whipped cream (optional)

Directions

MIX sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.

POUR into pie shell.

BAKE in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving.

If you can't get Libby's canned pumpkin you can use another brand but it won't taste the same. Libby's seems to be thicker. If you can't get canned pumpkin at all you can use canned sweet potatoes drained and mashed for a similar pie. But the Libby's is the real thing.

I agree with everyone else. Libby's pumpkin is the best and the recipe on the can is the best I have ever made and I have tried them all! Hope you can find it there!

Anonymous

I also agree with the Libby's recipe. ;-) If you can't find canned pumpkin or canned pumkin pie filling in the UK you can order it online at this link:
www.americansoda.co.uk/uk/American-Soda/Home/Baking/Pie-filling-+-Jell-O/default.aspx

Sometimes either the small and/or the large can is out of stock and I don't know what the shipping cost would be but worth a look see anyway ;-)

Thank you so much!

I don't have any canned milk and want to make fresh pumpkin pie. The recipe it calls for it. Is there a way to use regular milk instead?

By Lisa H

Answers

Replace in this recipe below, each 1/4 cup of nonfat dry milk with 1 cup of milk. For the recipe below, if I am doing my math right, that would equal out to eight cups of regular milk if you are substituting 1 cup milk for 1/4 cup powdered milk.

Read more: Nonfat Dry Milk Substitutes | eHow.com http://www.ehow  ml#ixzz2D1Z4uSB5

Here is the recipe for making the condensed milk:

http://www.ehow  densed-milk.html

Things You'll Need

2 cups powdered milk (Full cream or low fat)
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4-1 cup boiling water
2 0z margarine or butter
A few drops of vanilla essence.
An electric blender.

Instructions
In a electric blender,put milk,sugar,boiling water,margarine and vanilla essence into blender.

Blend until sugar is melted and mixture is smooth.

Pour into warm sterile jars .Seal and store in refrigerator.

Never buy condensed milk again . Sweetened your teas and other delicacies and enjoy.

The recipe is quick and easy ,no need to go spending a lot of money in the grocery for those small tins of milk. In though times this is very economical and finding ways to save every cent is important.

This recipe makes 1 1/3 cups of sweetened condensed milk.

Read more: How to Make Condensed Milk | eHow.com http://www.ehow  ml#ixzz2D1YXt03N

Blessings, Robyn

I have always used just regular milk in my pumpkin pie. I just follow the recipe on the back of the can and substitute the same amount of whole or 2% milk. It makes a little bit lighter pie. But it is really good.

This recipe was handed down from my mother-in-law. She was a farm wife and making recipes from farm produce was her specialty. This is a family favorite with rich flavor. Delicious served with whipped cream.

• Single Pie Crust
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt or less
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. allspice
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. ginger
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 cup pumpkin pulp from a fresh pumpkin

Directions:

Line pie plate with pie crust.

Preheat oven at 450 degrees F. Put the remaining ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Stir together all the ingredients until blended. Pour into pie crust.

Bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees F and then change oven temperature to 350 degrees F and continue to bake for 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

Servings: 6
Time:15 Minutes Preparation Time
40 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: My mother in law, Beatrice whom passed away many years ago.

By pennypacer from Ont. Canada

• 2 unbaked pie crusts
  • 2 cups pumpkin, cooked
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 3 Tbsp. butter, melted
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
  • cinnamon and nutmeg to taste

Directions:

Combine pumpkin, sugars, butter, eggs, milk, cornstarch, and spices in blender or with hand mixer until all are well blended. Pour into pie crusts. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 1 hour or until pies are set. 2 pies.

By Robin from Washington, Ia

Ingredients

• 1 cup pumpkin
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 3 Tbsp. flour
  • 3 eggs, separated
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1/2 tsp. lemon flavoring
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Directions

Mix pumpkin, flour, sugars, spices and salt. Add egg yolks, milk, lemon and vanilla. Beat egg whites and fold into mixture. Bake at 350 degrees F until firm. Yield: 2 pies.

By Robin from Washington, IA