Canary Salad Recipe

My mother used to make something called canary salad. I remember it has raisins, pineapple, carrots, coconut and mayo and was really good! What I don't remember is how much of each or if there are any other ingredients in it.

Thanks in advance!
Beverly from Louisville, KY

Never heard of this before now but I got curious and found this recipe. You'll have to do some conversions though.

Eight Canary Islands Summer Salad

from: Aitzol Ezeiza - San Sebastian, Spain

This recipe is from the Canary Islands (called the fortunated islands). Their cuisine is influenced by the Atlantic African cuisine and the American flavours.

1 ripe pineapple

3 apple (golden, for example)

1/4 kilogramme of cucumber

100 gr. of olives

2 hearts of lettuce

1 avocado

1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise (look for recipes at IVU)

the juice of one lemon

1/4 red pepper

1/4 yellow or green pepper

1/2 papaya

1 small mango

7 pricked walnuts

50 gr. of canned millet or corn

Dice the pineapple, the apples and the cucumbers and place them in a salad bowl.

We shall peel the cucumbers leaving a part of the peel to make them more digestive.

Cut fine the lettuce and put it with the rest.

Cut the olives, take the stones out and put them in the bowl.

Triture the avocado and add it to the vegan mayonaisse and mix all with lemon juice and salt.

Dress the other ingredients with this sauce.

Cut in strips the pepper, the papaya and the mango and garnish the salad with the millet (or corn) the pricked walnuts and the stripes.

Serve it cold on hot days.

I'll bet this recipe is a variation of "grated carrot salad" made with as much grated carrot as you want, mayo added to moisten to your liking (my kids didn't like it too goopy with too much mayo) and raisins (black or yellow), and some drained pineapple- but you can add juice if desired at the end. Just start adding ingredients as you prefer--to the consistency you like. You can add mini marshmallows, coconut, mandarin oranges...anything

Food and Recipes Recipes SaladsJuly 11, 2006
Chef Salad
Chef Salad Recipes
Carrot Salad
Carrot Salad Recipes
Wood Salad Bowl
Caring For Wood Salad Bowls