Japanese Potato Salad Recipe

Category Potato
This sweet and savory salad with cucumbers and carrots is a delicious variation on the more traditional potato salad you are used to. This page contains a Japanese potato salad recipe.

My mother has been making Japanese potato salad for me since I was a little kid. This is my version of it and absolutely my go-to. It's sweet and savoury and has a softer texture than the standard types of potato salad. I like to make a large batch and serve it fresh and warm with hot foods. Then I serve the leftovers cold as a side with colder dishes.

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: 8 servings

Link: Easy way to peel potatoes

• 2 lb golden potatoes
  • 1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1/3 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 green onions, white and light green parts only, sliced
  • salt for boiling and seasoning
  • pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
  • 2 tsp spicy mustard
  • 1 Tbsp sugar

1. To make potato peeling easier, cut a line around each potato, making sure not to cut deeper than the skin.
  2. Put the potatoes in a pot of cold, salted water so the water is covering the top of the potatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook until a fork poked into them goes in without resistance, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes in a colander.
  3. To blanch the carrots, drop in a pot of boiling water for about two minutes. Don't over boil, they should still have a slight crunch.
  4. Ad

5. Shock in a bowl of very cold water to stop the cooking process, then drain.
  6. Sprinkle cucumber slices lightly with sea salt, mix with your hands making sure the salt coats them evenly. Set aside for 10 minutes.
  7. Ad

8. After 10 minutes, rinse off cucumbers and gently squeeze with paper towels to get all of the moisture out. This is a very important step and will prevent soggy potato salad.
  9. To easily remove skins from potatoes, pinch each end and the skins will come right off.
  10. Ad

11. In a bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
  12. Add peeled potatoes to dressing and gently smash, making sure you leave some small potato chunks.
  13. Add the carrots, cucumber, red onion and green onion. Mix well.
  14. Serve straight away as slightly warm or refrigerate for an hour and serve cold. Enjoy!

Top Comment

Great pictures and directions of your delicious looking Japanese potato salad. That looks so good, I could eat a barrel of it right
now! Thank you for sharing.

Oh thank you! I only wish I could share my batch with you! :)

I love potato salad and this really sounds delicious! Nice photos and directions - another keeper!

Thank you, Betty! I hope you try it out! :)