PotatoSalads

Japanese Potato Salad

Vote for this contest contender!

My mother has been making Japanese potato salad for me since I was a little kid. This is my version of it and absolutely my go-to. It's sweet and savoury and has a softer texture than the standard types of potato salad. I like to make a large batch and serve it fresh and warm with hot foods. Then I serve the leftovers cold as a side with colder dishes.

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: 8 servings

Link: Easy way to peel potatoes

1. To make potato peeling easier, cut a line around each potato, making sure not to cut deeper than the skin.
  2. Put the potatoes in a pot of cold, salted water so the water is covering the top of the potatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook until a fork poked into them goes in without resistance, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes in a colander.
  3. To blanch the carrots, drop in a pot of boiling water for about two minutes. Don't over boil, they should still have a slight crunch.
  4. Ad

5. Shock in a bowl of very cold water to stop the cooking process, then drain.
  6. Sprinkle cucumber slices lightly with sea salt, mix with your hands making sure the salt coats them evenly. Set aside for 10 minutes.
  7. Ad

8. After 10 minutes, rinse off cucumbers and gently squeeze with paper towels to get all of the moisture out. This is a very important step and will prevent soggy potato salad.
  9. To easily remove skins from potatoes, pinch each end and the skins will come right off.
  10. Ad

11. In a bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
  12. Add peeled potatoes to dressing and gently smash, making sure you leave some small potato chunks.
  13. Ad

14. Add the carrots, cucumber, red onion and green onion. Mix well.
  15. Serve straight away as slightly warm or refrigerate for an hour and serve cold. Enjoy!

Great pictures and directions of your delicious looking Japanese potato salad. That looks so good, I could eat a barrel of it right
now! Thank you for sharing.

Oh thank you! I only wish I could share my batch with you! :)

I love potato salad and this really sounds delicious! Nice photos and directions - another keeper!

Thank you, Betty! I hope you try it out! :)

A lot of food lost due to power outage with hurricane Irma but still had potatoes so tried this today and it is delicious. Anyone who even likes potato salad a little bit should try this. Your Mom and you must be marvelous cooks.

Have to admit, cooking is our forte if anything ;) SO HAPPY YOU TRIED IT! Sending hugs!

This is a winner! I love potato salad and this is a new twist I must try.

Heck, the tip about scoring the potatoes to make them easier to peel, alone, is worth 5 stars. ***** Yes!

A ***** Yes! Even? Wowie zowie, I'm blushing! I like to cram all the tips into one :D Enjoy the salad!