Growing Herbs in Vermiculite

I just recently planted a packet of mint seeds from Williamsburg, Virginia that I picked up there three or four years ago. I put a bunch of Vermiculite in a pot (with rocks in the bottom) and began to water it. Mostly the rain has been doing the job for me. I did what the package of Vermiculite told me to do, by simply sprinkling the seeds on top of the fake soil and then watering it.

I'm worried that it's not growing properly. It's been five or six days, I think, and I don't even see a sprout. Is there something I did wrong? Should I have used real dirt as well? The package of Vermiculite said that I could just sow the seeds on top and the plants would grow. Or am I just impatient?

Maybe the seeds are too old.

Thanks,
Paul from Walnutport, PA

Hi Paul,

I have never known just vermiculite. I have mixed my soil using not only vermiculite, but pearlite, canadian spaghnum peat moss and potting soil. I use equal portions of each. That should work. If you are only using vermiculite by itself, I would water it well and put a piece of plastic wrap over the pot. Keep checking it daily to see if any have sprouted. Keep checking the moisture level also.

They still might sprout.

hugs,

Marcia

I "googled" it for you. I will likely take 2-3 weeks for the seeds to germinate. The link below is for basic peppermint, but how different could the mints really be?

http://www.planet-science.com/outth ... int/pdf/Mint_GrowingInstructions.pdf

Good luck!

If the seeds are 3 to 4 years old they could certainly be too old to grow. I have never heard of vermiculite alone being used to grow plants. Usually it is mixed with potting soil or a soiless mix. I don't think vermiculite has enough nutrients to be the sole medium for growing plants.

Home and Garden Gardening HerbsJune 12, 2007
dried spices
How Long Do Dried Herbs and Spices Last?
Drying and Storing Herbs
Drying Herbs
Herbs
Freezing Herbs
Growing Herbs
Growing Herbs
🎄